Green Party as Utopians Watch

phaedron
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ive been reading through the green party policy section (the one without the hashtags and buzzwords) and the party policy takes virtually every one of the recent sins of our government and addresses it.

I find it unfathomable that there are people who believe that the western system as a global whole works when we've just emerged from a recession have been involved in multiple wars and have paedophiles lurking in the shadows at Parliament. I forgot to mention that one of those wars violated international law.

The Green Party aren't a messianic prophecy in political form but there is one thing that sets them apart completely and its that they are clearly willing to try new solutions. Our government move with the speed of continental drift when it comes to change. The Green Party would pretty much transform Britain at so many levels and maybe we can all agree on that.

That's precisely what's needed. I mean if they fail realistically would it be any worse than what we've been subjected to?

Worst case scenario everyone gets high for a while and then we sober up come voting time. A labour worst case scenario involves orphans screaming and terrorist attacks

Seriously though after year upon year of gaffes scandals and disasters what possesses you to continue to vote for the same parties? Doing the same thing and hoping for different results is something that lunatics do.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exactly.

If we keep on doing what we have done, we will keep getting the same results.

We cannot stay in the environment/place/city/country that caused the problem, if we wish to solve it.

The people who cause problems, can rarely be the people to solve them

Drastic change in thinking, and environment, and the way things are done, are needed.

Unfortunately, the most intelligent people will usually leave Britain.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phaedron)
Doing the same thing and hoping for different results is something that lunatics do.
No.

It's a sign of stupidity, not madness.

People do the same thing over and over, but they don't want a different outcome. They want things to stay the same.

That's the issue - not realising there is even a problem
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phaedron)

I find it unfathomable that there are people who believe that the western system as a global whole works when we've just emerged from a recession have been involved in multiple wars and have paedophiles lurking in the shadows at Parliament. I forgot to mention that one of those wars violated international law.
When compared to other places in the world Europe is a modern day paradise. International Law whilst in some cases is good, is fallible just like any other law. Saddam was a dangerous madman and Iraq is a better place without him- most current problems there are not due to Iraq war.

The Green Party aren't a messianic prophecy in political form but there is one thing that sets them apart completely and its that they are clearly willing to try new solutions. Our government move with the speed of continental drift when it comes to change. The Green Party would pretty much transform Britain at so many levels and maybe we can all agree on that.
Change isn't necessarily good and it carries severe risks. Try and remember that as a presumably young person that is likely not to have too many responsibilities risk is less scary for you.

That's precisely what's needed. I mean if they fail realistically would it be any worse than what we've been subjected to?
Yes. If you think current austerity is bad after labour can you imagine the mess after greens with homes and benefits going up up up and jobs and growth going anywhere but?

Worst case scenario everyone gets high for a while and then we sober up come voting time. A labour worst case scenario involves orphans screaming and terrorist attacks
What were those green policies on open borders and freedom to affiliate with ISIS again?

Seriously though after year upon year of gaffes scandals and disasters what possesses you to continue to vote for the same parties? Doing the same thing and hoping for different results is something that lunatics do.
Politicians of all parties are fallible people. Democracy is the least bad political system. It is also easy to make promises that you can't realistically keep- Syriza in Greece have learned this and in some ways the lib dems have here.

In any case the greens own track record us hardly inspiring- their only constituency has one of the worst recycling rates, the council is universally despised and their current leader makes Miliband seem a man if the people.

Change is good, but moderation is better, particularly in this climate.
Killsworth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree, but I don't see the Green Party as being the solution that while overcome the Conservatives/Labour. I believe a new party will need to be formed to grab the limelight.
phaedron
Rep:
?
(Original post by Killsworth)
I agree, but I don't see the Green Party as being the solution that while overcome the Conservatives/Labour. I believe a new party will need to be formed to grab the limelight.
The fact that it hasnt is very telling. Someone like Adam Curtis has penetrating insights into the flaws of our current political system. There are thousands of his ilk and hundreds among them with the resources to launch a political party that takes the best of the current main contenders while discarding the worst. Green and UKIP are the worst of what the left and right have to offer and yet they magically have enough funding to be their representative voices. Its quite obvious what needs to be done. A complete overhaul of our political system is required. Someone needs to have the balls to end the reign of the multinational over policy. Unfortunately we're ruled not by politicians but by an ivory towered elite
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Green Party solution is more of the same. More taxes and more government. This is not the direction we need to go in.
phaedron
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
The Green Party solution is more of the same. More taxes and more government. This is not the direction we need to go in.
Well its closer to the right direction than the others. Taxing the rich is just ridiculous however as is the universal minimum wage. They're a great comedy troupe anyhow. I'd pay to see them at the circus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed