Not good or white enough? Watch

Demilb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm 19,black, well spoken and I've been told I'm pretty. I use to date a guy from Eastern Europe but his mum didn't approve because 'I'm not good enough for her son' (she said this to my face). A few days after this incident he broke up with me.
So flash forward a few years and he's got a new girlfriend. I'm walking past his house and I see him and his mum arguing outside and when she sees me she shouts pointing at me ' I would have preferred if you'd have stayed her, she might be black (imagine a disgusted look on her face) but at least she's pretty.'

So now I've received a few messages from him asking to talk and I don't know what to do. I want to know what she meant by that, but would it just be rubbing salt Into old wounds?

EDIT: I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I would never ever get back with him. Hell would freeze over first. I just want my questions answered but I'm wondering whether it's worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ha27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Demilb)
So I'm 19,black, well spoken and I've been told I'm pretty. I use to date a guy from Eastern Europe but his mum didn't approve because 'I'm not good enough for her son' (she said this to my face). A few days after this incident he broke up with me.
So flash forward a few years and he's got a new girlfriend. I'm walking past his house and I see him and his mum arguing outside and when she sees me she shouts pointing at me ' I would have preferred if you'd have stayed her, she might be black (imagine a disgusted look on her face) but at least she's pretty.'

So now I've received a few messages from him asking to talk and I don't know what to do. I want to know what she meant by that, but would it just be rubbing salt Into old wounds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow dont even associate yourself eith that racist family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you have any self respect, avoid them like the plague.
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should probably ask him out. You never know if you don't try.
Demilb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
Yeah, I think your right. Thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Demilb
Rep:
?
(Original post by ha27)
wow dont even associate yourself eith that racist family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advise, I think I'm going to take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cadherin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel very guilty for laughing when I read this at your ex's mother's comment, so I apologise profusely for that. But what did you expect from a potential future mother-in-law?

Firstly, I think that it probably was just a case of rubbing salt into old wounds. Understandably, some mothers are very protective over their children and want their children to associate with a member of the same class.

For example, if I had highly-educated children, I would want them to associate with like-minded people, which tend to be the middle class in good schools. (I find myself agreeing with Katie Hopkins quite substantially on many issues such as this one!).

However, her racism is pushing it a little bit - this is probably a traditionalist value just showing itself - don't feel disheartened or offended, many of the older generation feel like that as they were not used to the multiculturalism that we have today.
Demilb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
You should probably ask him out. You never know if you don't try.
I feel like her comment already cemented what I already knew. Just to make this clear she probably doesn't know that I know what she said when she pointed at me cause she was speaking Serbian. I happened to be with a Kosovan friend who understood, he knew that I understood though cause we all went to school together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
if she had any she wouldn't even ask this stupid question.
Demilb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cadherin)
I feel very guilty for laughing when I read this at your ex's mother's comment, so I apologise profusely for that. But what did you expect from a potential future mother-in-law?

Firstly, I think that it probably was just a case of rubbing salt into old wounds. Understandably, some mothers are very protective over their children and want their children to associate with a member of the same class.

For example, if I had highly-educated children, I would want them to associate with like-minded people, which tend to be the middle class in good schools. (I find myself agreeing with Katie Hopkins quite substantially on many issues such as this one!).

However, her racism is pushing it a little bit - this is probably a traditionalist value just showing itself - don't feel disheartened or offended, many of the older generation feel like that as they were not used to the multiculturalism that we have today.
No need to apologise, if it hadn't have happened to me I would have laughed as well. Thank you for the advise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Demilb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daenerys...)
Loooool it's not stupid, I just want to know whether the reason we broke up was because of that. There's no way in hell I'd think of getting back with anybody like that I was just curious. But most people have said what I was thinking already and that it's a stupid idea. Thank you for being blunt though I think I really needed it to drive home the point

Posted from TSR Mobile
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
as someone said before, if you had any self respect and dignity, you would cut off all ties with this guy. He obviously does what his mum tells him to do.

Only an idiot will go back to him. If you do back to him and he dumps you again, don't blame anyone but yourself.
just find a black guy ffs
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One of my Polish friends(she is mixed race) mum broke up/divorced her husband because of certain issues and partly because traditionally Polish people are looked down upon from marrying people from another race like black people. This is understandable in a way because Poland has not got many immigrants like here in the Uk hence why they hold these values.

I hope things work out for them and you.
Demilb
Rep:
?
(Original post by bittr n swt)
as someone said before, if you had any self respect and dignity, you would cut off all ties with this guy. He obviously does what his mum tells him to do.

Only an idiot will go back to him. If you do back to him and he dumps you again, don't blame anyone but yourself.
just find a black guy ffs
Are you kidding me? No way In hell would I get back with him. I'm very happy in a relationship already I just wanted answers to my questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you kidding me? No way In hell would I get back with him. I'm very happy in a relationship already I just wanted answers to my questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the mum thinks you're pretty and better than the current gf he has but the current gf or yourself aren't enough for the guy.
basically the mum is a ****hole
Demilb
Rep:
?
(Original post by bittr n swt)
the mum thinks you're pretty and better than the current gf he has but the current gf or yourself aren't enough for the guy.
basically the mum is a ****hole
Hahahahahahahahahaha your right, I don't know what I was even thinking. His answers are not even worth my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys...)
Touche.

Also strong edit OP.
battycatlady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cadherin)

Don't feel offended? So because someone is from an older generation that makes it ok?

And OP, as everyone has already said, steer clear.
Biryani007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly just don't bother
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads