I'm French, ask me anything? Watch

Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Well, not entirely, but I speak fluent French and have spent most of my life on the other side of the Channel.

Ask me absolutely anything about my second home.

GO!
Stefano93
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are french women really hairy?
pikaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stefano93)
Where do you live in France ?

Are you an expatriate ?
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stefano93)
No, that's a stereotype that has come from I don't know where.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by pikaa)
Where do you live in France ?

Are you an expatriate ?
A small town 50 kilometres from Toulouse.

Yes, I am.
pikaa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
A small town 50 kilometres from Toulouse.

Yes, I am.
Je suis française aussi
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by pikaa)
Je suis française aussi
Lut la mif
Graceful_Lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do French people hate Muslims? I mean peaceful ones.
Cadherin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, not entirely, but I speak fluent French and have spent most of my life on the other side of the Channel.

Ask me absolutely anything about my second home.

GO!
Où résidez-vous en France?

Aussi, que pensez-vous de la catastrophe de la direction d'Hollande et vous soutiendrez l'UMP en 2017?
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Graceful_Lawyer)
Do French people hate Muslims? I mean peaceful ones.
Islamophobia is becoming a very serious issue in France, especially in the South towards Marseille and much of the French Riviera. This has only been accentuated by the Charlie Hebdo attacks and the attacks prior to it.

All I can say is that it's very, very worrying.
Graceful_Lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Islamophobia is becoming a very serious issue in France, especially in the South towards Marseille and much of the French Riviera. This has only been accentuated by the Charlie Hebdo attacks and the attacks prior to it.

It is indeed worrying. I mean as a Muslim, I cannot even think of performing such violent acts but may be I'm generalising, but I feel like what if I lived in France? Many may assume I'm like the terrorists.
pikaa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Actually I'm a French Muslim and I think your are right but the youth are very open minded in my uni I don't feel any islamophobia on the contrary we have made lots of interesting debates about The Charlie Hebdo affairs and it was really cool and respectful.

The only thing I reproch to The French it's the fact that a lot of them dislike when you keep your own culture. Example people who were Hijab or a beard are automatically stereotyped.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cadherin)
Où résidez-vous en France?

Aussi, que pensez-vous de la catastrophe de la direction d'Hollande et vous soutiendrez l'UMP en 2017?

Au sud, vers Toulouse.

Je préférerais supporter le Manchester United que de parler de la politique.
Cadherin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Personally, I'm more worried about the barbaric massacre of a group of innocent people than the heralded 'prophet', who may I remind you sodomised a girl younger than nine, being denigrated through Islamophobia.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
Personally, I'm more worried about the barbaric massacre of a group of innocent people than the heralded 'prophet', who may I remind you sodomised a girl younger than nine, being denigrated through Islamophobia.
I wouldn't call the people at Charlie Hebdo completely 'innocent'. They knew the repercussions.
anastas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Salut! What do you like mostly about France?
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by anastas)
Salut! What do you like mostly about France?
The food, it's got to be the food.

My favourite meal is Cassoulet and has been for as long as I can remember. I love raclette too and moules et frites.

Second down from that is the ambience and how warm the people are.
Cadherin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't call the people at Charlie Hebdo completely 'innocent'. They knew the repercussions.
Of course they are innocent - in any free society, we have the right to mildly offend people, especially through the portrayal of imaginary friends such as Muhammad.

In fact, I just gave you a perfect example!

It's similar to me saying 'I don't want anyone to take my photograph or attempt to draw me, as I find it offensive' and for someone to be too afraid to portray me in fear of their lives.

We should stand by the cartoonists at Charlie Hebdo and I am glad that, in response, they have not sheepishly relented drawing Muhammad, they have portrayed him in even more offensive contexts, which is symbolic of how we will not stand down in the face such monstrosities!
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
Of course they are innocent - in any free society, we have the right to mildly offend people, especially through the portrayal of imaginary friends such as Muhammad.

In fact, I just gave you a perfect example!

It's similar to me saying 'I don't want anyone to take my photograph or attempt to draw me, as I find it offensive' and for someone to be too afraid to portray me in fear of their lives.

We should stand by the cartoonists at Charlie Hebdo and I am glad that, in response, they have not sheepishly relented drawing Muhammad, they have portrayed him in even more offensive contexts, which is symbolic of how we will not stand down in the face such monstrosities!

What constitutes 'mildly' then? Depicting Allah or Muhammed the Prophet is deemed EXTREMELY offensive to almost every Muslim out there, but to us it's laughable or 'mildly' offensive because it doesn't affect us directly.

If someone caricatured my mother in such a way I found extremely offensive, but the satirical company didn't (they found it 'mildly' offensive) who's wrong or right there.
Jibola240
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What think of people in Paris? Are they as rude as the stereotype?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.54%
No (137)
74.46%

Watched Threads