Does an employer pay the interviewee's travel expenses to the interview? Watch

WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been invited to an interview in Ireland for a gap year job and I was wondering if the boarding school, where I am applying for the job, would pay for my travel expenses there? It is quite awkward to ask them outright as I'm sure you can imagine haha :rolleyes:
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not usually no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stefano93
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nah it's the real working world. Pay for everything yourself.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WishIHadRevised)
I've been invited to an interview in Ireland for a gap year job and I was wondering if the boarding school, where I am applying for the job, would pay for my travel expenses there? It is quite awkward to ask them outright as I'm sure you can imagine haha :rolleyes:
Despite what the other two posters said, the answer is usually yes. My school pays expenses to anyone who attends an interview as a matter of course and I have claimed expenses when I have needed to travel to an interview. The obvious course of action is to check with the school concerned.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i wouldn't think so. Why the **** should they? they probably have dozens of prospective employees.
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would never work for a company that wouldn't pay for my flights to the interview. In the past the employer has always paid, usually after a successful phone/digital interview.
Veggiechic6
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've never heard of a potential employer paying travel to interview expenses. If you're the one who wants the job and have applied for it, surely you know you've got to be interviewed there and it's your responsibility to pay for it!
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
Despite what the other two posters said, the answer is usually yes. My school pays expenses to anyone who attends an interview as a matter of course and I have claimed expenses when I have needed to travel to an interview. The obvious course of action is to check with the school concerned.
How do you go about asking them? Is it a bit awkward to ask them outright? :/

(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
I would never work for a company that wouldn't pay for my flights to the interview. In the past the employer has always paid, usually after a successful phone/digital interview.
So do they only reimburse you after they confirm you've gotten the job?
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you go about asking them?
"Hello. You have kindly invited me to attend an interview. I'm just phoning to check that you reimburse travel expenses."
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you go about asking them? Is it a bit awkward to ask them outright? :/

So do they only reimburse you after they confirm you've gotten the job?
The companies I've worked for booked everything so I didn't have to be reimbursed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.03%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (144)
38.92%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.46%

Watched Threads