ks96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been told to comment on the structure and form of the two plays in my coursework. Tried contacting teachers but haven't heard anything. Does anyone know what is meant by this?
Sixteeen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Structure is relatively self-explanatory - the scenes being divided in any particular way, any cyclical patterns, the amount of dialogue a particular character has, for example. Form is a bit vague; in a poem it would be the rhythm and rhyme scheme, so I suppose in a play it would be a similar sort of thing - I've never really thought about it in my essays to be honest & I'm usually a straight A student in English so don't worry too much about form!
ks96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks none of our class really knew how to put form about a play in the essay! I've already added some structure, about character dialogue and stuff, so hopefully it should be fine
Sixteeen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No problem! Yeah that's always a tricky one, check with your teachers as they'll be marking it but it's not hugely important
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ks96)
I've been told to comment on the structure and form of the two plays in my coursework. Tried contacting teachers but haven't heard anything. Does anyone know what is meant by this?
Form of a play is usually what type of play it is. Now, the other person is wrong about form of poem. Structure of a poem is how it's laid out - in terms of rhymes, stress, and etc. How it looks on the page basically.

The same for novel - structure is how it's put together a classic example is the novel Naked Lunch - the author says the chapters can be read in any order! Which means for many possibilites and outcomes of the whole meaning of the novel.

Now for a play, the structure are things such as monologues, soliloquies, speeches, dramatic dialogue, stage directions etc etc etc. How everthing is presented basically. So if there's music - what significance is that causing. Such as I think in Dancing At Lughsana, when a couple have a row about a woman rejecting a marriage proposal, happy, cheerful music is on in the background - that tells us some form of irony and a metaphor for a broken relationship. It may be happy on the outside (music is on in the background), but in the foreground, where there's arguing, the relationship isn't what it seems on the inside = dramatic irony. So that music is part of the play's structure.

When it comes to form; that is often what format is the play? Such as is it a farce play, societal play, farcical comedy tragedy, comedy, it's all about what type of play is it. For example, if the play is a tragedy then the structure to that form would be having 5 acts; including climax and resolution from acts 3-5.

Hope this helps (English Lit undergrad).
Sixteeen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
^ that is certainly a more accurate coverage of form, looking into it I think you should check with the board you are being examined by because the suppositions vary, particularly if your teachers are marking it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads