Empty Gym's in London? (Feel embarrassed) Watch

mox11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

i basically want to join a gym in london to bulk up a bit, i am very skinny and feel intimidated by big men with big muscles, so is there any gyms in london preferbly around shoreditch areas? Which are uncrowded and not busy at all? I will go for around 1-3pm on weekedays.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those big, strong guys are usually the nicest. They have nothing to prove, it's the ones trying to play hard man that are dicks. Like I've train with three guys who are/were competitive in strongman at a regional level. Two went out of their way to teach he stuff. The other is the sort of guy who asks to borrow chalk like 'excuse me, I'm sorry to be a pain but is there any chance I could please borrow some chalk?'.

That aside, nobody really gives a **** what you are doing. You're really not that interesting. People go in, do their session and leave. Nobody is hanging around contemplating how skinny and weak you are. Even if they do look, those guys weren't born big and strong, they can remember being a noob and are probably glad to see new people lifting. The issue is all in your head and you're not going to do yourself any favours by acting like it'd a big deal by going out of your way to avoid people.
mox11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I do understand what your saying and you are right!, but I still feel really uncomfortable. Does anyone know any gyms which are empty during the day?
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mox11)
I do understand what your saying and you are right!, but I still feel really uncomfortable. Does anyone know any gyms which are empty during the day?
All gyms are quieter during the working hours. None will be empty completely as no gym could survive being empty all the time
SEHughes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No one cares. I started lifting when I weighed 9.5 stone at 6' tall, in a proper rough gym that seemed solely frequented by doormen, builders, and rugby players. Guess how many times I had someone stare me out, take the piss, cave my head in with a dumbbell etc?
ZolaCFC25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mon-fri at 1-3pm London gyms shouldn't be too crowded as people will be working, but not sure. Who cares though OP. Gym people aren't nasty. Think of people admiring your gains in a few months time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ZolaCFC25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Double post, soz
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mox11)
Hi all,

i basically want to join a gym in london to bulk up a bit, i am very skinny and feel intimidated by big men with big muscles, so is there any gyms in london preferbly around shoreditch areas? Which are uncrowded and not busy at all? I will go for around 1-3pm on weekedays.
If you really cant handle a crowded gym then The Gym have a branch in Angel which is 24/ for £16/month. Deserted after 12pm until 8am.

As others have said however, nobody cares what you do in the gym. Really.
jimbles
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know exactly how you feel. I train in a gym full of competitive powerlifters and aesthetic bodybuilders.

When I started going I was actually too embarrassed myself to use weights, or train weights properly in case I couldn't manage to do it.

However, what happened was in fact the opposite of what I thought would happen (I expected them to judge and be dicks towards me being 'weak'), and they started by offering me tips, correcting my form, and even offering to spot for me if i need it, all I had to do was give them a shout. I think they respected me for just getting in, doing what I do and training my hardest. I train for sports, and they understand that and know I don't want to be as big, and they still encourage me and push me.

Honestly, if the gym you join is a good gym, it will be full of people like the above, willing to help each other.
HawkEyeArcher
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure, some people may look at you and be like, oh great golden llama he's skinneeyy. But know what? They'd immediately realise everybody starts from somewhere, and if they don't, you shouldn't really care about their opinion.

Like jimbles said, you will most likely encourage support and help from others. Most people feel good teaching.
KatyKaty2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you can find smth here - list of London gyms
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will very rarely get an empty gym. I've done gym at 6am and it was STILL light but populated. BUT... what you shouldn't worry about is being embarrassed mate.

In a gym, everyone is mainly focusing on themselves... or checking out someone on the sly , but you shouldn't be embarrassed. Everyone starts off somewhere.

You'd also often find the burly blokes are the most helpful on the floor. I went into a proper lifting gym for the first time yesterday and was worried... it worked out fine mate. I just rocked up to the bloke and asked him to show me the basic moves (deadlift, squat, bench) and he showed me step by step. Spotted me for a while and showed me how to do dumbbells and dips etc...
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The tl;dr of this is don't be afraid or embarrassed and if you really think you are ****ing up or looking silly then feel comfortable asking someone nearby to spot you/give help.

Better that then get an injury.

Good luck!
Awesome Genius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go to a woman's gym
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads