Science with an Integrated Foundation year (Physics) Watch

ImLiterally12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys, I've got an offer for science with an integrated foundation year. My goal would be to progress onto the Physics with Astrophysics BSc course afterwards.

I was wondering if anyone here has done the foundation year and gone on to do a physics course after - what was the foundation year like? What sort of pass rate do you need to progress on to a physics degree at the end of the year?

Cheers!
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't go on to do Physics but I did do mostly the same modules as those who did. The foundation year is structured more or less the same as any other university course, you do six modules each semester which are arranged into Super Units. You have to get a minimum average grade in each Super Unit to progress on to your desired degree course. For Physics, it's structured as follows:

Super Unit 1 - Minimum 80%
Maths OB1/OC1
Maths ON1
Maths OB2/OC2

Super Unit 2 - Minimum 80%
Physics: Matter
Physics: World of the Electron
Physics: Waves

Super Unit 3 - Minimum 80%
Physics: Further
Maths OF2
Maths OJ2

Super Unit 4 - Minimum 70%
ICT
Academic Skills
Project

The content itself isn't too difficult, particularly if you've already studied A-level Maths and Physics, but the pass requirements for Physics are very high, as you can see.
ImLiterally12
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply, I thought the pass requirements for physics might be high considering the typical offer for BSc Physics is A*A*A.

If you don't mind me asking another question, what sort of percentage do people on the foundation year usually achieve? Is 80% fairly hard to get?

Thanks again!
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ImLiterally12)
Thanks for the reply, I thought the pass requirements for physics might be high considering the typical offer for BSc Physics is A*A*A.

If you don't mind me asking another question, what sort of percentage do people on the foundation year usually achieve? Is 80% fairly hard to get?

Thanks again!
I have no idea, sorry. I think the majority of people get on to their chosen degree but then all of the other degrees have significantly lower pass requirements than Physics. For all I know, the success rate for Physics might be much lower than average.

I don't think 80% is massively difficult but it's still a bit of a challenge. I feel that I personally didn't put as much effort into the foundation year as I could have (for one thing, I had lower pass requirements than the Physics people), and I had never studied Physics before, but my lowest Super Unit Grade was still more than 70%. It's easy to say it in retrospect but I think I could have met the current Physics requirements if necessary. Everyone's different, of course.
ImLiterally12
Rep:
?
Alright, thanks alot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Fri, 19 Jun '20
    Sat, 20 Jun '20
    Sat, 3 Oct '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads