Having a poor 4th subject grade; influential on application? Watch

LibertyMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello all,

I'm year 12 and looking at the top unis (Cambridge, Imperial), my subjects being Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Geography.

Now, the latter is an unfortunate case because I see myself getting in good hope 80%ish, but I could also drop as low as a B, or hell, C.

Would this hinder my success in applying to top unis? My main 3 subjects are doing great and I'm confident in being able to achieve 95% + in them.

I am planning to drop geography after AS. So, if I get good A-level results in my main 3, but then do badly in my 4th, (e.g AAAC) could that ruin my application?

Many thanks
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LibertyMan)
Hello all,

I'm year 12 and looking at the top unis (Cambridge, Imperial), my subjects being Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Geography.

Now, the latter is an unfortunate case because I see myself getting in good hope 80%ish, but I could also drop as low as a B, or hell, C.

Would this hinder my success in applying to top unis? My main 3 subjects are doing great and I'm confident in being able to achieve 95% + in them.

I am planning to drop geography after AS. So, if I get good A-level results in my main 3, but then do badly in my 4th, (e.g AAAC) could that ruin my application?

Many thanks
for most unis it wouldn't matter but for the 2 you mentioned it might. Just a word of warning Cambridge give offers to 1 in 5 imperial 1 in 6 so there is a very big chance of getting rejected anyway. ensure that your other 3 choices are less competitive so you don't end up with all rejections. applying to Cambridge imperial durham and st Andrews would be dangerous so make sure you only apply to 2 or 3 so you have at least 2 good offers.

you do not say what subject you are applying for but look into whether you need further maths as top unis like this for subjects like maths computer science and engineering
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cambridge and Imperial are VERY selective. If you get AAAC or even AAAB, it is very likely you'll get straight out rejected, as there will be many others with better grades than you.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One of Cambridge's key indicators is your average UMS in your three most relevant subjects. If you score as highly as you suggest you might in Maths, Physics and Chemistry then a low-ish UMS in Geography won't significantly harm your chances in a science subject.

Read through threads like the following to find out more:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2801773
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello all,

Many thanks
There was a student in my college last year with those AS grades (AAAC or AABC), his C was in English Literature, he applied to BA Law (Jurisprudence) at Oxford and he got an AAA offer from them!! He's now studying Law at Oxford and I think the impressive performance at the interview made up for the poor grade for his 4th subject. I don't think the grade for the 4th subject matters much as long as the other 3 are really good.
hollybeth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello all,

Many thanks
To go against what the others have said (although I don't know if this was an exceptional thing...)
When we were in year 11, we got offered an AS level in Critical Thinking and some of us took it (arguably a stupid idea). One of my friends got an E. They applied to Oxford and got rejected after interview, so it's unlikely that the E had anything to do with it. They now go to Durham.
LibertyMan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
One of Cambridge's key indicators is your average UMS in your three most relevant subjects. If you score as highly as you suggest you might in Maths, Physics and Chemistry then a low-ish UMS in Geography won't significantly harm your chances in a science subject.
That's a good point. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.18%
No (232)
75.82%

Watched Threads