Planning for the future...? Watch

MikePreston
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Feels wierd discussing this when its so far away but, has anyone started thinking about putting money aside for when they get older (50+) older. I know we have to plan for the immediate future but im reading some stories about when people are older they have nothing when they need care.

It really woke me up to the fact that there are 2 phases of life that we have to save up for!
MikePreston
Rep:
?
(Original post by MikePreston)
Feels wierd discussing this when its so far away but, has anyone started thinking about putting money aside for when they get older (50+) older. I know we have to plan for the immediate future but im reading some stories about when people are older they have nothing when they need care.

It really woke me up to the fact that there are 2 phases of life that we have to save up for!
Guess i am the only one that thinks this, which is fair enough as it doesn't seem right to think about it now, but just seeing grandparents now scrambling to put money together so they can afford full time care was a bit of an eye opner to me!
CherryWine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I can't afford to save for the immediate future, let alone for when I'm 50+
MikePreston
Rep:
?
(Original post by CherryWine)
I can't afford to save for the immediate future, let alone for when I'm 50+
Hey CherryWine,

Yeah that makes complete sense and im strugling to do the same as well... maybe im over thinking it at the moment but just got me with a bleak outlook about it all.
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey CherryWine,

Yeah that makes complete sense and im strugling to do the same as well... maybe im over thinking it at the moment but just got me with a bleak outlook about it all.
I've never really thought about it much before tbh, but yeah it is worrying. If I haven't got a penny to my name at that age, I'll just guilt trip my children into supporting and caring for me
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ye I'm always putting money aside lol. I don't have that much I want to spend money on apart from games and I eat cheap food. My student loan has been piling up so I'm opening an ISA soon since I'm getting capped on interest.
MikePreston
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
ye I'm always putting money aside lol. I don't have that much I want to spend money on apart from games and I eat cheap food. My student loan has been piling up so I'm opening an ISA soon since I'm getting capped on interest.
Seems like a pretty smart idea to be fair. i think even putting £10 asaide a month into a savings account can help. it seems like such a small figure but starting from there for a couple years can just heolp you to get started.
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are struggling to spend money, I would be perfectly ok with spending it for you. I would love to help you with this problem

No seriously that's really good, just keep on saving and retire at 35.
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are struggling to spend money, I would be perfectly ok with spending it for you. I would love to help you with this problem

No seriously that's really good, just keep on saving and retire at 35.

haha it's cus everyone else buys expensive stuff and I don't mithinks. Everyone else drinks smirnoff or bacardi while I drink tamova vodka from aldi lol. I usually go on trips to Asda and buy whatever spirits are sale as well

+ most of the other stuff I do for fun is free.

You could go on alcohol trips to Asda for me if you want though haha

Seems like a pretty smart idea to be fair. i think even putting £10 asaide a month into a savings account can help. it seems like such a small figure but starting from there for a couple years can just heolp you to get started.
I don't actually set anything aside tbh lol. I just always go for the cheapest option when I'm considering things and the money piles up on it's own. I don't have a budget or anything.
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
haha it's cus everyone else buys expensive stuff and I don't mithinks. Everyone else drinks smirnoff or bacardi while I drink tamova vodka from aldi lol. I usually go on trips to Asda and buy whatever spirits are sale as well

+ most of the other stuff I do for fun is free.

You could go on alcohol trips to Asda for me if you want though haha

I don't actually set anything aside tbh lol. I just always go for the cheapest option when I'm considering things and the money piles up on it's own. I don't have a budget or anything.
I buy all my drinks from aldi too, it's half the price for the same drink in a different bottle

It's raining, I'd need at least two bottles of wine, two bottles of rum and two bottles of jd as payment you can afford it lol
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I buy all my drinks from aldi too, it's half the price for the same drink in a different bottle

It's raining, I'd need at least two bottles of wine, two bottles of rum and two bottles of jd as payment you can afford it lol
Ye aldi is best supermarket. I did buy some knock off malibu there though without knowing what it was. Disgusting stuff :yucky:. And another time I met an old man bearded like a wizard who directed me to some nice cheap wine :top2:

not for long if this carries on haha
CherryWine
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ye aldi is best supermarket. I did buy some knock off malibu there though without knowing what it was. Disgusting stuff :yucky:. And another time I met an old man bearded like a wizard who directed me to some nice cheap wine :top2:

not for long if this carries on haha
Malibu is so sickly sweet, I used to drink it when I was 15. Tried it again the other day, it's revolting, I have no idea how it was once my staple diet lmao

Haha, I've met many wizards in aldi everyone always knows where the best bargains are, I picked up a packet of crisps the other day and a little old lady whispered to me "there's a pack twice the size of that for half the price over there by the dog food" haha

Don't worry about saving for when you're 50+, you'll be passed out in a ditch never to be seen again before too long lol
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Malibu is so sickly sweet, I used to drink it when I was 15. Tried it again the other day, it's revolting, I have no idea how it was once my staple diet lmao

Haha, I've met many wizards in aldi everyone always knows where the best bargains are, I picked up a packet of crisps the other day and a little old lady whispered to me "there's a pack twice the size of that for half the price over there by the dog food" haha

Don't worry about saving for when you're 50+, you'll be passed out in a ditch never to be seen again before too long lol
lol when I was 15 I tried beer like everyone else. Then quickly swapped to vodka and haven't really changed.

lmao. Aldi is such a happy place. I go there in rollerblades and I just get smiled at.

you'l be in there with me if I can help it
MikePreston
Rep:
?
So i know this thread got slightly off topic but i just came across these reports and they are pretty eye opening. I know no one is thinking about this as it seems so far down the line but i'm pretty sure the same was being thought by these people that it directly affects now. One of the stats says 96% of over 65's have no money saved up for caring... erm, what?! how are they meant to afford it.... have a look for yourselves:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-car...idential-care/

www.caringhomes.org/care-home-funding-guide/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads