My mum is kicking me out! I'm only 16 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Littlemushroom90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm 16 and my mum is kicking me out. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of killing myself at this point because she's making my life hell. She's calling my sixth form trying to get me into trouble. I don't know where I will go and how I will support myself. I dont know if I can get a job without my passport because she has it. I need it because I came here 12 years ago and I wasn't born here so I need it in order to work. I just don't know what I'm going to do. My life has been hell since I was in year 9. My mum and I simply don't get on. She insults me and it turns into drama when I defend myself!
loveChloe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Littlemushroom90)
I'm 16 and my mum is kicking me out. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking of killing myself at this point because she's making my life hell. She's calling my sixth form trying to get me into trouble. I don't know where I will go and how I will support myself. I dont know if I can get a job without my passport because she has it. I need it because I came here 12 years ago and I wasn't born here so I need it in order to work. I just don't know what I'm going to do. My life has been hell since I was in year 9. My mum and I simply don't get on. She insults me and it turns into drama when I defend myself!
You go to school, right? They have councelors and advisers there. Go and ask them for help. I'm afraid I don't have any solutions, but that's what they are there for. Ask them for help. Meet them face to face and help them come up with a solution.

Good luck!
CherryWine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Contact your local housing office and explain that you are involuntarily homeless.
beckaroo7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Call social services and childline. Might be tricky since your 16 but one of them should be able to advise. And like the user above said, speak to councillors at your college
skd1996
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
I agree with what the others above are saying- counsellors, child line and social services.

However, if she sticks by kicking you out and refuses to give you your passport or any other documents that are in your name I would go to the police station and ask their advice on what they/you can do about that.
Doctor_Einstein
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not get a job and work for your rent. This is the real world - the entitlement mentality has to stop.
Bryonycarr1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not that easy to et a job at 16 especially one that will pay enough to keep you. I agree with other helpful comments such as speaking to someone at our school. They will know what to do to help you. Hope you can get something appropriate sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Littlemushroom90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
Why not get a job and work for your rent. This is the real world - the entitlement mentality has to stop.
Did you even read what I said? I don't feel entitled to anything. She's not kicking me out over monetary reasons like I already mentioned I don't get on with my mother. I also said I can't support myself if she's got my passport because I wasn't born here. I wish people would read instead of just being nasty for no reason.
Littlemushroom90
Rep:
?
We don't really have counsellors at my school, we have people from outside school that come twice a week and they won't be in for a while. If I do end up living on my own I would like to be able to work but working for less than £4 isn't exactly going to help me support myself so I'll end up not going to sixth form just to sustain myself. I really want to go to university I'm a straight A student which is why I'm so bothered about this. I might go to my local council, I'm 17 soon if that counts for anything
Doctor_Einstein
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you even read what I said? I don't feel entitled to anything. She's not kicking me out over monetary reasons like I already mentioned I don't get on with my mother. I also said I can't support myself if she's got my passport because I wasn't born here. I wish people would read instead of just being nasty for no reason.
It is illegal for an individual to withhold the passport of another individual. Therefore you are entitled to go to the police and tell them your passport is being illegally withheld and they will retrieve it for you so you can get on with life.
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If anyone is entitled to one thing in this life, it is the love, support and care of your parents until you can support yourself. What is happening to OP is immoral, and she has a right to feel this way about it. Don't come on here with a "suck-it-up" auto-response without considering the emotional reality of her situation.

Addressing the OP, I agree with the others; you need to speak to your school for advice.
CherryWine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We don't really have counsellors at my school, we have people from outside school that come twice a week and they won't be in for a while. If I do end up living on my own I would like to be able to work but working for less than £4 isn't exactly going to help me support myself so I'll end up not going to sixth form just to sustain myself. I really want to go to university I'm a straight A student which is why I'm so bothered about this. I might go to my local council, I'm 17 soon if that counts for anything
If your housing office can sort you out a place to stay, you can claim housing benefit to pay the rent whilst you study. You might have to stay in a hostel for a while though.
portaferissa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am truly sorry sorry for your situation. Ignore the nasty comments from people who don't live in real world themselves. They are not helping. You need a support not critics. Many jobs advertised are for over 18 and you need to finish the 6th form. These troubles is the last thing you need while trying to prepare for your exams. Contact social services. It is their job to look after children and young adults! They should help with accommodation and advice. Do online research for children charities. If some don't deal with the teenagers they will advise you further.
Sycamores
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go to your local council.

They'll place you in either a hostel or some sort of emergency homeless accommodation.

You won't have to pay rent for while you're in these places so you can hopefully try to find a job and earn a little money. Also in the meantime, why don't you sign onto job seekers allowance? Not sure about England but in Scotland you can sign on from the age of 16. You of course will be required to look for a job but at least you'll be given a little bit of money.

Also like everyone above said; no one can withhold your passport form you. This is illegal. Talk to the police and they will visit her and obtain the passport from her.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She can't because as she actually mentioned in the original post, her mum is withholding her passport, which is necessary for job applications. Read, silly boy.
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi

Are there any family members who can help, either to resolve things with your mum or provide you with somewhere to stay? If you not, you need to speak to a teacher that you are comfortable with straight away - tell them exactly what's happening. They should be able to help you contact social services and generally get things in motion. There is a responsibility on councils/childrens services to house 16 and 17 year olds, often in emergency accommodation until something is sorted out.

Shelter will provide you with advice and help if your school lets you down:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...g_homelessness

Make sure you have somewhere to stay first. Once that is sorted out you need to take steps to retrieve your belongings, including your passport.

If your relationship with your mother can be mended that really is the best route, but if not, you do not need to be homeless or give up your studies.

All the best
Sister kenya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there sorry to hear about your problems,Really i am so your mother and yourself dont get on,d there are issues.Do you go to church at all does your mother In the first instance i would attempt to go to family to ask them to mediate. This is because of all the negative publicity about these so called care services. Failing that if you dont have family members, as you did not mention your father, or any siblings at all . If you let me know what borough you live in I will check out some services for you. If you dont mind me asking why mum is doing this trying to be objective here as there are always 2 sides to a story. take care
Doctor_Einstein
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 9910224)
She can't because as she actually mentioned in the original post, her mum is withholding her passport, which is necessary for job applications. Read, silly boy.
I think you missed the part where I said "It is illegal for an individual to withhold the passport of another individual. Therefore you are entitled to go to the police and tell them your passport is being illegally withheld and they will retrieve it for you so you can get on with life."
Zander01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're a moron.

funny how many people on TSR know so little of the real world
portaferissa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sycamores)
Go to your local council.

They'll place you in either a hostel or some sort of emergency homeless accommodation.

You won't have to pay rent for while you're in these places so you can hopefully try to find a job and earn a little money. Also in the meantime, why don't you sign onto job seekers allowance? Not sure about England but in Scotland you can sign on from the age of 16. You of course will be required to look for a job but at least you'll be given a little bit of money.

Also like everyone above said; no one can withhold your passport form you. This is illegal. Talk to the police and they will visit her and obtain the passport from her.
you cannot sign in if you're in full time education
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads