Mrpianoman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello All,

Quick Question: My teacher has thrown us in at the deep end by asking us to answer one of the past paper questions, without telling us how to write it in the first place. Can someone help me with some tips on how to write it?

Thank you.
Shadesofgrey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which question is it? It'll help if you say.
Mrpianoman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shadesofgrey)
Which question is it? It'll help if you say.
The one that I have chosen to do is from the January 2011 paper and it is "Explore the ways in which poets make use of setting and/or landscape"
Shadesofgrey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OK, that sounds pretty straightforward: look for any mention of landscape or scenery and see whether these contribute to atmosphere or characterization etc. Which poets are you studying?
Mrpianoman
Rep:
?
We are studying William Blake and it was a partner text which I can't remember.

It wasn't what I should actually be writing which i'm stuck on, it was the structure of the thing.
Shadesofgrey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, ok.

Well, once you've understood how the poet uses landscape and setting (and how this advances theme) then begin with an clear introduction which includes a thesis statement (your driving idea). The main body of your essay will then build on this idea so that all your points, examples and explanations will form an argument.

Basically, if you argue in the introduction that Blake uses setting and landscape to underline the unnaturalness of civilization (modern, urban, industrialised society) then each paragraph will build on some aspect of this.

INTRO (as above)...

MAIN BODY
Par 1. (main body) - describe patterns of setting in Blake's poems (take 2-3 or even 4 examples of poems)
Par. 2 (main body) - point: the natural landscape in contrast with urban environment
par. 3 (main body) - point: the urban environment as a reflection of human misery
par 4. ---..--- - point: the natural environment as a reflection of the human spirit
par 5'
par 6
Conclusion : tie things up

I'm just guessing here. Iäm not really sure what to say about Blake, because I don't know him that well. I kinda focus on the modern poets like Plath, Ted Hughes, Larkin, and so on.If you need more help with planning and organizing, then try this or this. I got a tip about this site and then started using it. They helped me plan and write my literary essay (my EE, actually, which I had a hard time with), and I did well in the end.

Mrpianoman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shadesofgrey)
Oh, ok.

Well, once you've understood how the poet uses landscape and setting (and how this advances theme) then begin with an clear introduction which includes a thesis statement (your driving idea). The main body of your essay will then build on this idea so that all your points, examples and explanations will form an argument.

Basically, if you argue in the introduction that Blake uses setting and landscape to underline the unnaturalness of civilization (modern, urban, industrialised society) then each paragraph will build on some aspect of this.

INTRO (as above)...

MAIN BODY
Par 1. (main body) - describe patterns of setting in Blake's poems (take 2-3 or even 4 examples of poems)
Par. 2 (main body) - point: the natural landscape in contrast with urban environment
par. 3 (main body) - point: the urban environment as a reflection of human misery
par 4. ---..--- - point: the natural environment as a reflection of the human spirit
par 5'
par 6
Conclusion : tie things up

I'm just guessing here. Iäm not really sure what to say about Blake, because I don't know him that well. I kinda focus on the modern poets like Plath, Ted Hughes, Larkin, and so on.If you need more help with planning and organizing, then try this or this. I got a tip about this site and then started using it. They helped me plan and write my literary essay (my EE, actually, which I had a hard time with), and I did well in the end.

That's brilliant! Thank you so much!
Shadesofgrey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No trouble
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads