34% Attendance and second year? Watch

SianaZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello

I am really concerned at the moment as my attendance is at 34% (despite that actually being the average out of everyone in my year) I still think that's really bad. However, a few of those days are when teachers didn't attend the lecturers and emailed us beforehand, therefore we didn't attend and they didn't correct the attendance mark.

I had very good attendance until December. In December I gave birth (was due in late Febuary) so had a premature baby. I knew I was pregnant and decided to continue uni with the support of my family but I didn't expect to have a premature baby. (as a result of the premature birth I also got very ill as we both had sepsis) I gave birth after uni ended for Christmas so I lost no attendance there. But when term started again I was still recovering so had 3 weeks off. I emailed my uni and explained everything and even voluntarily sent them proof. My tutor then emailed a lot of us who had bad attendance (people who had better attendance than me!) then they had to go to a meeting with her to explain their absences but she did not invite me, so I am assuming she learnt of my problems and let me off.

Our policy is that they will send you a letter warning you of your attendance then expect a response, they then will send you a second letter if it continues and you will have to attend a meeting and if you do not attend the meeting or improve after it then you will be withdrew from the course- I have had no letters at all yet. I did message the student support when I had the baby and she suggested I withdrew but it is really important to me not to for the future of me and my son.

I have lots of support from family. My mother is self employed from home so she has my son every night before I attend uni so she does the night feeds and I can get up on time. Currently at the moment I have had 2 weeks off (after this week has ended) My son is very ill and he will not settle with any one apart from me so I feel I have had to take this additional time off uni as I do not feel right leaving a newborn ill baby at home with my mother when he clearly wants his own mother.

I am just so concerned about entry for year 2. I am worrying if I will get in. I have passed all of my assignments extremely well despite low attendance so that is not at issue.
Sycamores
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you considered finishing this year then perhaps taking up your classes online?

There's so many institutions out there that now have online courses such as the Open University.
The costs aren't that bad and you'll be able to complete the coursework at your leisure and you have tutors on hand whom you can email and talk with.

It'll be ideal for you and your situation, I'd definitely suggest looking into it
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your reasons for not attending should count as mitigating circumstances so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also, if you end up doing well enough to pass the year, you'll probably just move on to second year automatically. It's usually only if you fail the year that universities start looking at your attendance to determine whether to remove you from the course or not.

The best thing to do is just talk to your university, if you keep them up to date with your situation, I'm sure they'll be more than willing to help as much as possible.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SianaZ)
Hello

I am really concerned at the moment as my attendance is at 34% (despite that actually being the average out of everyone in my year) I still think that's really bad. However, a few of those days are when teachers didn't attend the lecturers and emailed us beforehand, therefore we didn't attend and they didn't correct the attendance mark.

I had very good attendance until December. In December I gave birth (was due in late Febuary) so had a premature baby. I knew I was pregnant and decided to continue uni with the support of my family but I didn't expect to have a premature baby. (as a result of the premature birth I also got very ill as we both had sepsis) I gave birth after uni ended for Christmas so I lost no attendance there. But when term started again I was still recovering so had 3 weeks off. I emailed my uni and explained everything and even voluntarily sent them proof. My tutor then emailed a lot of us who had bad attendance (people who had better attendance than me!) then they had to go to a meeting with her to explain their absences but she did not invite me, so I am assuming she learnt of my problems and let me off.

Our policy is that they will send you a letter warning you of your attendance then expect a response, they then will send you a second letter if it continues and you will have to attend a meeting and if you do not attend the meeting or improve after it then you will be withdrew from the course- I have had no letters at all yet. I did message the student support when I had the baby and she suggested I withdrew but it is really important to me not to for the future of me and my son.

I have lots of support from family. My mother is self employed from home so she has my son every night before I attend uni so she does the night feeds and I can get up on time. Currently at the moment I have had 2 weeks off (after this week has ended) My son is very ill and he will not settle with any one apart from me so I feel I have had to take this additional time off uni as I do not feel right leaving a newborn ill baby at home with my mother when he clearly wants his own mother.

I am just so concerned about entry for year 2. I am worrying if I will get in. I have passed all of my assignments extremely well despite low attendance so that is not at issue.
You need to talk to your personal tutor to find out exactly how they view your absence and what the potential consequences are as all we can do is just guess.

Good luck and congratulations on your little boy. Hope you are both doing well now. I don't think you should drop out/do distance learning if that isn't what you want.
SianaZ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I actually tried studying at home (before I attended uni as I joined late) I found it too hard though, I am not that good at teaching myself from scratch, and as its a law degree its very hard.

It would also mean I would have to work too as I know you don't get student finance for a home degree. So I would have to work, study and look after a baby which is not possible.

I feel I will have much better attendance in September, just this year has not been very good and I need time to settle things from what happened. But obviously as I have come this far paid all that money and passed my assignments all to good standards then it would be a shame to drop out now when I have only a couple of months left.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In your place, I would definitely ask your course leader for a meeting to talk it through. What you've described sounds like very comprehensive Mitigating Circumstances and I can't believe that you will be penalised for absences due to giving birth, resulting ill-health or caring for a premature baby (congrats, BTW!)

I'm sure your course leader will be able to put your mind at rest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads