The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Ive just learnt about Kenya as a whole like break down of government spending etc, the knowledge needed i assume wont be that great so if you know about kenya and its struggles then you should be ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
comment on the impact hiv has on development? (8 marks)\

help??
Original post by JackWilsh10
comment on the impact hiv has on development? (8 marks)\

help??

The higher the Level of Morbidity, the lower the level of working age people, meaning there nation can't grow as it has less workers.
1. Makes orphans
2. Stops schooling of children
3. Strain on already strained healthcare
4. Encompasses other problems like unsafe sex
5. Creates social stigma
6. Government already spends 10% on vertroviral drugs already
7. Lowers number of avaible workers for economy
Then just expand on those

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Any ideas on how to answer this question??

Select one of the following suggestions for helping the country move towards achieving the
MDG’s and suggest why you think it is most important.
Improving human capacity
ARVS 
Investment in Malaria prevention
Improving infrastructure
(15 marks)
Original post by adam harperRB
1. Makes orphans
2. Stops schooling of children
3. Strain on already strained healthcare
4. Encompasses other problems like unsafe sex
5. Creates social stigma
6. Government already spends 10% on vertroviral drugs already
7. Lowers number of avaible workers for economy
Then just expand on those

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheers boss
Guys, zigzag isn't very helpful for this one - what would i write about?

3) Discuss the issues that the physical and social geography of Kenya present for the health-care provision? (12)
THIS MAY SEEM A REALLY SILLY QUESTION SO SORRY GUYS

but what is the difference between relief and precipitation? what actually is relief? any help greatly appreciated :smile:
THIS MAY SEEM A REALLY SILLY QUESTION SO SORRY GUYS

but what is the difference between relief and precipitation? what actually is relief? any help greatly appreciated :smile:

Precipitation is rain or any form of water that falls from the sky and relief is the changes of elevation of an area so like how high or low it is.
Original post by DavidCrow
Put this on last year's thread: hope its of help to those doing the 2015 paper!

A few tips:

Knowing the AIB thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your own knowledge to answering the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks. For my Nepal exam, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, development statistics, projects other charities have done, news articles etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it although you can draw upon it occasionally.

Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to extra research. You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, internet searches, books, course texts - basically anything which is related to the topic. You'll realise as you go that the issue chosen by the exam board cuts across many of the concepts in the A Level. Doing your own research is the only way to develop the synoptic understanding of the issue that you need.

Note: there are are usually shorter questions based on more 'directed' items such as data presentation, stats, fieldwork or directed research. These should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. Even if no questions based wholly on these 'directed' items come up, make sure you include them in the exam paper somewhere - e.g. I brought in the photographs referenced in the AIB to an essay on development in Nepal.

Geog 4B is more about geographical understanding than revision per se. As I did very detailed research on the concepts and structured that research around the AIB I was able to build up a very good knowledge of the core themes before the exam, which I could then draw upon as part of the argument in my essay. The exam essays are more about setting up an argument and justifying yourself (with that justification supplemented by your own facts) rather than basic regurgitation of the facts themselves.

Good luck!

Thank you! Just wondering what mark you got in the end to see the relative ease of getting high marks if its possible?
Physical Geography:
For 6 marks:
1.Terrain is harder to traverse
2. Large area, lower population density therefore harder to reach
3. Some areas will be unable to be reached
4. Bikes may not be able to cope
5. Makes large transit of supplies difficult
6. Means more money will need to be invested which Kenya doesnt have

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Social:
1.Stigma
2.Lack of education
3.High population density in urbam areas e.g. Kiberia
4.Lack of disease prevention education
5.Poor hygiene and sanitation
6.lack of money to pay for healthcare

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just looked through all of the previous past papers and i'm just curious, is there any way to represent a chloropleth map presented in a graphical form.Thanks for the help
do you think they could ask us what map or technique would be best to present data?? Could someone give me some tips on the methods I should focus on?? thanks x
Considering how many chloropleth maps there are, probably!
guys do you know if they give us a new AIB in the exam? My teacher said that they do so we made notes on it but now looking at past papers im not so sure :s-smilie:
Original post by daneenskeels
I don't think this is flawed, in P7 there are small spots of higher population density within the grey mass, so P8 has to be over 24 I assume to account for these spots. Interestingly, these spots of population density are really high (100-599) but are not areas of dense poverty - especially interesting as in the East it has the least fertile land, does anyone have any ideas to why these guys aren't in poverty?

The population in the east is below 19 as p7 shows, so therefore cannot be included in the poverty graph as the minimum range for this graph 24 or less. In reality these areas may be very rich or have 100% poverty but the graph cannot tell you this.

Potential solution for this error/flaw in the maps would have been to include a % poverty map to give an more accurate representation of the poverty rather than a number figure as the majority or rural settlements are poor and in poverty but not included as the population density is too low.
Reply 377
Does anyone know any negatives of riders for health? I know some limitations but don't know what they have done badly.
Guys, this threat is really helping me work towards my A!

Could anyone be a legend and help me tackle this question - the Kenyan health-care service is not fit for purpose'. Discuss. (10 marks)

Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 379
Guys, this threat is really helping me work towards my A!

Could anyone be a legend and help me tackle this question - the Kenyan health-care service is not fit for purpose'. Discuss. (10 marks)

Thanks so much :smile:

You could say it is not because centralised, inefficient, talk about the logistics etc, how they haven't made much progress on their mdg's

Then say the good things, have obstacles to health like physical grog, conflict etc. maybe give some facts. Not really sure what is good about the healthcare system

then come to a conclusion whether it is fit for purpose.

I don't really know to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest