The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Natalierm2707
As promised here is an updated version of some possible questions for GEOG4B!!

Please understand this is not a comprehensive guide in any way, this is just a variety of questions I have gathered from various sources, including some of you guys, and I wanted to share it, as it will make revising for this exam a lot easier for all of us. Like I mentioned I have no idea whether any of these questions will be similar to or even anything like the ones of the actual GEOG4B exam, but its a good idea to share some questions now so we can get a feel for what it may be like.

I will keep posted updated versions of this document if anyone contributes or if I find more questions online, so keep an eye out on this thread for me.

If anyone has any questions about any of the questions I have written in this document, or anything about geography in general (there is a geog3 thread on TSR already so head over there for GEOG3 questions) then feel free to ask, my teacher is honestly brilliant and he has helped us a lot with this exam, and I would be happy to share!

I hope this is useful! :biggrin:

Thank you so much for this - its incredibly helpful!
Reply 81
Can I ask, does everyone have the ZigZag booklet?
Original post by Dorms
Can I ask, does everyone have the ZigZag booklet?

I dont, Im not sure if it is worth the money.

If anyone does please feedback on if it is worth it or not!
Original post by MikeBird
I dont, Im not sure if it is worth the money.

If anyone does please feedback on if it is worth it or not!

Doesn't your school give it out?? x
Original post by Bunny2014
Doesn't your school give it out?? x

I have taken a gap year, but decided to retake this exam to try and boost up my grade.
Original post by MikeBird
I have taken a gap year, but decided to retake this exam to try and boost up my grade.

Ahh I see :smile: Our school has given us the booklets, they are okay I guess x
Reply 86
What's this "zigzag booklet" everyone keeps talking about?
Original post by Bunny2014
Ahh I see :smile: Our school has given us the booklets, they are okay I guess x

I went through the preview on the zigzag website to see if anything on there was useful, and they did publish a huge list of websites to go look at. If you do have the zigzag booklet, would it be possible if you could send me the list of websites please, I would be extremely grateful! Thank you x
Reply 88
I had a look through the preview as well since we don't have it, some of the info looks useful but no way am I paying £60 for that! is anyone who had the resources given to them able to upload them here?
Sorry to bother everyone but I was wondering how much work people have done on statistical and graphical methods and the analysis of these methods. Flicking through the past papers I've noticed they do ask questions concerning those areas but I'm struggling to find any data that we may be asked to present in a certain way.

Other than choeopleth maps does anyone see any areas that could be tested?

Just begining to fret as we haven't been taught chi-square and haven't gone over spearman's since last year. Would it be worth self teaching these methods or would that be a waste of time that could be spent researching/ planning and answering questions?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by Tom Murphy
Sorry to bother everyone but I was wondering how much work people have done on statistical and graphical methods and the analysis of these methods. Flicking through the past papers I've noticed they do ask questions concerning those areas but I'm struggling to find any data that we may be asked to present in a certain way.

Other than choeopleth maps does anyone see any areas that could be tested?

Just begining to fret as we haven't been taught chi-square and haven't gone over spearman's since last year. Would it be worth self teaching these methods or would that be a waste of time that could be spent researching/ planning and answering questions?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Any of the statistical methods could come up so I would advise you to at least have a look at them.
Original post by subject1
Any of the statistical methods could come up so I would advise you to at least have a look at them.

Thanks much appreciated!

Is there any resources or webpages that you could point me in the direction of to improve knowledge.

D'you think that a basic understanding of the comparative methods (man witty and chi square) would be sufficient or should I commit some time to learning how to apply the methods?
Reply 92
Original post by Tom Murphy
Thanks much appreciated!

Is there any resources or webpages that you could point me in the direction of to improve knowledge.

D'you think that a basic understanding of the comparative methods (man witty and chi square) would be sufficient or should I commit some time to learning how to apply the methods?

I've used twitter quite a bit. If you search for #geog4b , people have tweeted loads of articles which are quite useful!
Original post by Dorms
I've used twitter quite a bit. If you search for #geog4b , people have tweeted loads of articles which are quite useful!

Thanks a bunch! Just checked this out and it's a goldmine of info.
Reply 94
What's everyone thinking for a website evaluation question (generally or specifically on Riders' website)? Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dorms
What's everyone thinking for a website evaluation question (generally or specifically on Riders' website)? Thanks!

What would you talk about in it? i don't really understand what to discuss if it did come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Disadvantages of grassroots initiatives?
Original post by DavidCrow
Put this on last year's thread: hope its of help to those doing the 2015 paper!

A few tips:

Knowing the AIB thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your own knowledge to answering the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks. For my Nepal exam, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, development statistics, projects other charities have done, news articles etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it although you can draw upon it occasionally.

Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to extra research. You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, internet searches, books, course texts - basically anything which is related to the topic. You'll realise as you go that the issue chosen by the exam board cuts across many of the concepts in the A Level. Doing your own research is the only way to develop the synoptic understanding of the issue that you need.

Note: there are are usually shorter questions based on more 'directed' items such as data presentation, stats, fieldwork or directed research. These should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. Even if no questions based wholly on these 'directed' items come up, make sure you include them in the exam paper somewhere - e.g. I brought in the photographs referenced in the AIB to an essay on development in Nepal.

Geog 4B is more about geographical understanding than revision per se. As I did very detailed research on the concepts and structured that research around the AIB I was able to build up a very good knowledge of the core themes before the exam, which I could then draw upon as part of the argument in my essay. The exam essays are more about setting up an argument and justifying yourself (with that justification supplemented by your own facts) rather than basic regurgitation of the facts themselves.

Good luck!

How's everyone finding this exam??? I remember the days...... currently doing finals in oxford geography and an exam like this would be a dream!!! I have a 3 hour paper to sit every day for 10 days! Although to be fair each of my exams are less pressurised than 4B in terms of the % of the course it involves.

Just remember to be synoptic. Don't treat the issue in terms of separate parts of the course. Make as many links as possible: think about the interactions in the issue between climate, ecology, geomorphology, political geography, social geography and economic geography and how you might be able to apply these interactions to the key themes of the issue, perhaps in terms of managing an environmental or other problem. As that's basically what geography is: an interdisciplinary field of study that integrates from across the natural and social sciences to apply knowledge in unique ways to solving environmental issues.
I think there will be a high mark question on comparing the MDGs to the new SDGs that the UN are currently formulating. Also high potential anaylsing the effectiveness of the MDGs.

I would recommend researching the Health SDGs in detail and have knowledge of the rest, great synoptic knowledge even if a question on this does not come up.

Question:

"Compare the current MDGs to the forcasted SDGs commenting on the effectiveness of the MDGs (15 marks)"

"Analyse the effectiveness of the MDGs in Kenya relating to the work Riders has done since 2000 (15 Marks)"
(edited 8 years ago)
Im a bit unsure about how much we need to know about the progress towards the MDGS. Are we supposed to know about all of them in detail or just the ones about health. The AIB recommended further research seems to contain a lot of information about the environment which has confused me about what I'm supposed to research for this exam.

Quick Reply

Latest