The Student Room Group

Plane crash: Germanwings A320 crashes in French Alps

Scroll to see replies

We need to put God back into aviation, let the pilot lead a prayer, and God will bless the flight.
Reply 61
Original post by Pies
I agree, the first thing I came across was a huge photograph of a poor man clearly distraught and crying. It's so intrusive. The last thing they must want is to be hounded and have cameras shoved in their faces.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would think they have bigger fish to fry having lost a family member than obsessing over such trivial matters.
Reply 62
Original post by mojojojo101
Sad to see yet more unnecessary deaths.

Really wish the international news media could restrain themselves a bit more though. Ascending like a pack of rabid vultures while families and friends attempt to grieve always makes me rather uneasy.

I can't imagine why someone could even think about such a trivial matter when over 100 people have lost their lives.
Original post by YesAllMen
...and in attempting to point out 'idiocy', you've made yourself look like one as well. People say prayers because again, because they're offering their support in that manner along with their 'thoughts' and they feel that's one way to do it -- why should the altar that feeling because people like you get pissy for no reason? No one here is attempting to arrogant in any way with their regards to religion or trying to influence someone in that way. Not that difficult mate. There is literally no negative aspect behind the posts in this thread.

At least those guys are being considerate and / or thoughtful, unlike yourself who instead decided to call them out on it.

What an absolutely pathetic attempt to get one over on religion. Talk about creating an issue over nothing ffs :rolleyes:

--

RIP to all the lives lost. Thoughts and prayers for friends, families and everyone involved.

You seem to have entirely missed the point. Well done you.
It's a sad day when I don't get shocked by plane crashes anymore. I just brushed it off, it's becoming a common thing, slowly but surely it will.

****ed up world
Original post by Dodgypirate
You can result to walking 800 miles if you wish.

And I would walk 500 more....
Original post by clh_hilary
We need to put God back into aviation, let the pilot lead a prayer, and God will bless the flight.

Lol.
Original post by Dodgypirate
As far as I know, it's 150 passengers including 6 crew members and 2 babies. (67 Germans, 45 Spanish people).

It's a horrible ordeal and questions will have to answered as to why the "safest mean of transport" has left so many dead yet again.

There was distress signal as they plummeted for 8 minutes, so it's likely to be engine failure.

Firstly, air travel is (almost) the safest mode of transport - second only to elevators.

Secondly, if you knew anything about flying to be able to speculate like you just have, you would know that even if a double engine failure occurs, you don't plummet out of the sky - you basically become a giant glider, so no, it's highly unlikely to be engine failure.
Original post by Jaydude
Thought about rapid decompression too, the descent took 8mins and oxygen tanks last 15 mins - so could have been an emergency decent - BUT a safe altitude to descend to is 10k, the plane went further below that ... Perhaps ruling any form of decompression out of the window.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I initially thought slow decompression - but the only other major example I can think of, Helios 522, deviated from course and ran out of fuel after fighter jets were scrambled to inspect the plane when it wasn't responding to ATC. This one crashed on its course, so it's highly unlikely it would have been under-fuelled.

What's confusing is that there was no 7700 squawk yet the pilots must have been aware of the descent rate as there was no real speed increase as the plane descended.
(edited 9 years ago)
Its rather shocking, British nationals now reported to have been on board, Although i am rather interested to see what the BB brings back, Can't have been an engine failure, Would have automatically sent out a signal to ATC letting them now. Doesn't at this point seem as if the pilots sent out any indication that they were in trouble, White house have ruled out terrorism, Although not entirely sure why the White house even are involved in this?
Original post by MJK91
You seem to have entirely missed the point. Well done you.

Fairly weak response here... I responded to the point which I inferred to you being annoyed at people mentioning that they're prayers are with the families (because you don't believe in God yourself), which I found silly and rather pointless to do and explained. Not too sure what other point you were trying to convey, nor was it too different to the other two who responded to you, but hey ho. Doesn't seem like you have too much confidence in your own point either way :smile:

Anyways, adios.
Having heard them speak to the press, the 16-year-olds who knew at least one of the 16 students on board the crashed flight seemed to be more fluent in English than some English 16-year-olds :tongue:
Original post by rockrunride
I initially thought slow decompression - but the only other major example I can think of, Helios 522, deviated from course and ran out of fuel after fighter jets were scrambled to inspect the plane when it wasn't responding to ATC. This one crashed on its course, so it's highly unlikely it would have been under-fuelled.

What's confusing is that there was no 7700 squawk yet the pilots must have been aware of the descent rate as there was no real speed increase as the plane descended.

Slow decompression could explain why the pilots didn't send a distress signal and were maybe unconscious (correct me if they did send a signal!)
But Helios 522 kinda rolled out of control - when it ran out of fuel after flying for so long, whereas in this case it was more of a "controlled" or steady descent, perhaps the pilots were conscious? - not sure what to take of that though - autopilot error? Idk..
I think it also passed an airport during its decent too right? If under-fuelled it would have deviated course, but they didn't (assuming pilots were conscious) - But Yeh, I agree with you there to an extent!

Guess we have to wait and see what it really was, which will probably take years sadly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate flying. If it was possible I would walk than to fly.
Wish I didn't stumble upon this thread 2 days before flying
I am gonna guess at Computer/Sensor Failure
Did some flying today.

Physics still working people. Air travel is safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know some discount the DM and obviously not sure how solid their line is, but if this is true then it could explain why no contact from the plane and a fairly controlled descent into a mountain...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3012053/Pilot-doomed-Germanwings-jet-locked-cockpit-crash.html
Original post by joey11223
I know some discount the DM and obviously not sure how solid their line is, but if this is true then it could explain why no contact from the plane and a fairly controlled descent into a mountain...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3012053/Pilot-doomed-Germanwings-jet-locked-cockpit-crash.html

I was just about to post this too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joey11223

There is usually a way of gaining access through the door - via a code entered into a keypad.

This then triggers an alarm on the flight deck which allows the flight crew to "deadlock" the door if they fear something is amiss.

That's is true on Boeing aircraft and I don't see why airbus would not have a similar mechanism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InnerTemple
There is usually a way of gaining access through the door - via a code entered into a keypad.

This then triggers an alarm on the flight deck which allows the flight crew to "deadlock" the door if they fear something is amiss.

That's is true on Boeing aircraft and I don't see why airbus would not have a similar mechanism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I was thinking this, you surely don't want a one way lockable door in case you do get a suicidal pilot, or passenger gets in etc. So if it turns out the co-pilot was able to lock the pilot out....that'll be a serious issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending