Bristol University - Civil Engineering maths worries! Advice please Watch

lmford
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

So I'm 25 and currently studying an Access to Engineering course. I've had 5 offers from unis including Cardiff, UWE, Brighton, Plymouth and Bristol, to study civil/civil and environmental engineering. As you can see a mixed bag of varying league table positions and entry requirements!

I was really surprised and pleased with the Bristol offer, due to the great reputation of the uni and I have also lived there so I know It's an awesome city. My slight worry however regarding the offer, is whether my maths skills are going to be up to scratch, as the uni requires an A* at A level. I'm currently studying as many maths modules as possible at Access level and have emailed the syllabus to Bristol, which they seemed happy with. I'm also receiving all grades at distinction so couldn't really be doing any better.

I'm just worried I'm going to be surrounded by A* receiving, naturally maths-minded students, who completely pass me by. Where as I tend to need to do a lot of self study and work to grasp a topic - although I do get there.

Anyone studying/studied the course who could provide a bit of an insight please? Is there much support in areas people are finding tricky? Don't worry I know it may not be positive!

Thanks very much
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
maths?
TicTacToe88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey there, I'm actually a first year here right now! Hope I'm not answering too late, but I would definitely say go for it! I'm by no means a naturally maths minded student, and I've found it alright so far! Actually studying for the summer exams right now! It's by no means easy, but it is very doable (so far anyway!)! As long as you put the work in (which is basically what maths is all about), you should be fine! I would definitely go for it if I were you!
lmford
Rep:
?
(Original post by TicTacToe88)
Hey there, I'm actually a first year here right now! Hope I'm not answering too late, but I would definitely say go for it! I'm by no means a naturally maths minded student, and I've found it alright so far! Actually studying for the summer exams right now! It's by no means easy, but it is very doable (so far anyway!)! As long as you put the work in (which is basically what maths is all about), you should be fine! I would definitely go for it if I were you!
Oh no you've definitely put a spanner in the works now! I was all set for choosing Brighton..! Haha. I'm just so worried I'd go to Bristol or Cardiff and only manage a 2:2, whereas for some reason I'm far more confident with the idea of a 2:1 from Brighton. I'm probably massively overthinking it but I know what I'm like, if I'm surrounded by people who are all getting it and way ahead of me, it would just ruin the experience and get me down. I think it's the old 'would you rather be a big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond' idea.

Thank you so much for your reply though, it's definitely got me thinking again!
TicTacToe88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lmford)
Oh no you've definitely put a spanner in the works now! I was all set for choosing Brighton..! Haha. I'm just so worried I'd go to Bristol or Cardiff and only manage a 2:2, whereas for some reason I'm far more confident with the idea of a 2:1 from Brighton. I'm probably massively overthinking it but I know what I'm like, if I'm surrounded by people who are all getting it and way ahead of me, it would just ruin the experience and get me down. I think it's the old 'would you rather be a big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond' idea.

Thank you so much for your reply though, it's definitely got me thinking again!
Glad I have! In the end all that matters is that you have fun whilst working hard! I don't know about Brighton (never been there!), but all I can say about Bristol civil engineering is that the people around me are very very stimulating! I've made some great friends here, and the thing I love about it is that we are constantly competing against each other, in a great way! The people I'm with are constantly pushing me to work harder, and I definitely think that's a good thing! I don't know about Brighton, but I'm not sure if that would happen as much! If you've got an offer from Bristol, it probably means you can do it!
DementedApe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I usually don't ever post on TSR, but saw your post and thought why not. I'm a third year doing Civil Engineering at Bristol. Bristol is such a great uni, amazing city, great nightlife. The maths is no harder than Further Maths at A Level (not sure if you've done something similar), it's tricky, but don't worry that other people will 'pass you by', there are plenty of people on my course who are absolutely **** at maths lol and they're doing fine. Doing self-study to get there is fine, you can always ask lecturers for help (although some are ****...). The best way of learning is getting a group of mates together and just going through anything you find hard.

If anything, the maths gets easier after 2nd year- there's no Engineering Maths module. I've literally had to do integration for only one module this year.

But yeah definitely go to Bristol (Y)
lmford
Rep:
?
(Original post by DementedApe)
Hey,

I usually don't ever post on TSR, but saw your post and thought why not. I'm a third year doing Civil Engineering at Bristol. Bristol is such a great uni, amazing city, great nightlife. The maths is no harder than Further Maths at A Level (not sure if you've done something similar), it's tricky, but don't worry that other people will 'pass you by', there are plenty of people on my course who are absolutely **** at maths lol and they're doing fine. Doing self-study to get there is fine, you can always ask lecturers for help (although some are ****...). The best way of learning is getting a group of mates together and just going through anything you find hard.

If anything, the maths gets easier after 2nd year- there's no Engineering Maths module. I've literally had to do integration for only one module this year.

But yeah definitely go to Bristol (Y)
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really haven't been able to get a viewpoint on it all and I can't really ask the uni otherwise I'm worried they'll start to question they're offer ha. Yeah I'm sort of doing the equivalent to A Level maths, although I know it's not quite as in depth but I'm pretty confident I would be okay with the other topics.

I used to live in Bristol so I know your right, it's a great city, lots of friends there still which would be nice. Oh dear this is the hardest decision ever!
ilad52
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hear civil engineering is poorly paid professional. What is the point of studying a course which has pay so little ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
14.29%
They might tell the bully (2)
14.29%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
21.43%
It might lead to more bullying (3)
21.43%
There's nothing they could do (4)
28.57%

Watched Threads