Showing the technology used to a competitor - dangerous? Watch

kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
If you want to sell a product or a proof-of-concept to an interested party, would you go into details about the technology you used to make the product/proof-of-concept? E.g. modules (re)used, scripting technology, algorithms used, etc?
Async
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The most dangerous thing you can do is show them the program or software. This is because they can definitely get someone to develop a replica according to the concept you showed then. All they need is the idea. Developers sometimes think that their code is worth something and thus hide it or obfuscate it. Whereas, your source code is not actually worth much, it's the person behind the code that is worth something.

If you're really worried about them copying or stealing any of your concepts, get them to sign a contract beforehand.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Async)
The most dangerous thing you can do is show them the program or software. This is because they can definitely get someone to develop a replica according to the concept you showed then. All they need is the idea. Developers sometimes think that their code is worth something and thus hide it or obfuscate it. Whereas, your source code is not actually worth much, it's the person behind the code that is worth something.

If you're really worried about them copying or stealing any of your concepts, get them to sign a contract beforehand.
That is actually my worst fear; it's quite easy to replicate the program once it's shown isn't it?

I'm going to show a program that I built but under the condition that it's going to be shown only to this company's technical manager and not their developers; I'm not sure if we can ask them to sign a contract though. I'm also worried that the manager may ask further questions like "how do you built this program?"; "how do you generate this output from the program?"; "what's the language used?"; "can you modify the program so that it can do X and Y, now?", etc. I'm also worried that if I don't do their requests, they won't use the program : /

Any advice is much appreciated
Async
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
That is actually my worst fear; it's quite easy to replicate the program once it's shown isn't it?

I'm going to show a program that I built but under the condition that it's going to be shown only to this company's technical manager and not their developers; I'm not sure if we can ask them to sign a contract though. I'm also worried that the manager may ask further questions like "how do you built this program?"; "how do you generate this output from the program?"; "what's the language used?"; "can you modify the program so that it can do X and Y, now?", etc. I'm also worried that if I don't do their requests, they won't use the program : /

Any advice is much appreciated
It's not likely that a company will steal your idea unless is a illegal business. Just get them to sign a contract.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Async)
It's not likely that a company will steal your idea unless is a illegal business. Just get them to sign a contract.
That's the thing; we'll never know this and having multiple developers wouldn't necessarily help either.
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
I'm not sure if we can ask them to sign a contract though. I'm also worried that the manager may ask further questions like "how do you built this program?"
Getting someone to sign an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) can be quite common, and this can dictate what they can do with the information they receive.

Similarly if this person is looking to buy your software to use it they may be interested in how the development is done but only at a high level (i.e. what high level technologies it uses python/c/ruby/jQuery/SQL), not down to the library level. They may also be interested in what methodologies you use for development and release of fixes and updates (AGILE/Prince2/ITIL/...)
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by mfaxford)

Similarly if this person is looking to buy your software to use it they may be interested in how the development is done but only at a high level (i.e. what high level technologies it uses python/c/ruby/jQuery/SQL), not down to the library level. They may also be interested in what methodologies you use for development and release of fixes and updates (AGILE/Prince2/ITIL/...)
Yes I agree especially on the bolded part.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads