Riemann-Zeta Function Analytical Continuation + Sorcery Watch

Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been doing a little bit of reading about string theory (bosonic, fyi) and in one of the derivations it was just pulled out of a hat that the sum of all the integers is
\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n = -\frac{1}{12}.

Now, obviously this just looked wrong to me, so I went a little further into my reading and it turns out this result is actually the evaluation of \zeta(-1), i.e. the Riemann-Zeta function, defined by
\displaystyle \zeta(s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^s}

To my utter dismay, I then found out that this function has trivial zeros at all the even negative integers, i.e.
\zeta(-2) = \zeta(-4) = \zeta(-6) = ... = \zeta(-2n) = 0,\ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}

That is to say that
\zeta(-1) = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + ... = -1/12

\zeta(-2n) = 1 + 2^{2n} + 3^{2n} + 4^{2n} + 5^{2n} + ... = 0

Apparently this ludicrous behaviour follows from the "analytic continuation" of the original definition of the zeta function to the complex plane. I've seen Riemann's paper on this, but it was obviously in German and I didn't understand it. The analytically continued version is
\displaystyle \zeta(s) = 2^s \pi^{s-1} \sin(\pi s/2) \Gamma(1-s) \zeta(1-s),\ s=\sigma + i \tau \in \mathbb{C}

Can anyone please explain to me how he arrived at this equation? I understand that it allows you to extend the domain by relating the value at s to the value at 1-s but how do you arrive there? And how can it possibly be consistent if it produces the above results? :eek:
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Astronomical)
I've been doing a little bit of reading about string theory (bosonic, fyi) and in one of the derivations it was just pulled out of a hat that the sum of all the integers is
\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n = -\frac{1}{12}.

Now, obviously this just looked wrong to me, so I went a little further into my reading and it turns out this result is actually the evaluation of \zeta(-1), i.e. the Riemann-Zeta function, defined by
\displaystyle \zeta(s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^s}

To my utter dismay, I then found out that this function has trivial zeros at all the even negative integers, i.e.
\zeta(-2) = \zeta(-4) = \zeta(-6) = ... = \zeta(-2n) = 0,\ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}

That is to say that
\zeta(-1) = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + ... = -1/12

\zeta(-2n) = 1 + 2^{2n} + 3^{2n} + 4^{2n} + 5^{2n} + ... = 0

Apparently this ludicrous behaviour follows from the "analytic continuation" of the original definition of the zeta function to the complex plane. I've seen Riemann's paper on this, but it was obviously in German and I didn't understand it. The analytically continued version is
\displaystyle \zeta(s) = 2^s \pi^{s-1} \sin(\pi s/2) \Gamma(1-s) \zeta(1-s),\ s=\sigma + i \tau \in \mathbb{C}

Can anyone please explain to me how he arrived at this equation? I understand that it allows you to extend the domain by relating the value at s to the value at 1-s but how do you arrive there? And how can it possibly be consistent if it produces the above results? :eek:
Think about the series 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + .... This series converges for |z| < 1 and within that range it converges to \dfrac{1}{1 - z} so we can extend the original series to a function that is defined everywhere apart from z = 1.

But that doesn't mean you can stick z = 2 into the series and say that 1 + 2 + 2^2 + ... = \dfrac{1}{1-2} = -1. All you're doing is making an inappropriate formal substitution into a series that doesn't converge!

There's a nice derivation of Riemann's functional equation for the zeta function in an appendix of Julian Havil's excellent little book 'Gamma', and you should find a more formal treatment in most decent Complex Analysis books
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads