DrSum98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm applying for medicine this coming autumn as I'm currently studying my AS levels
I know that aside from grades the experience and work you do is also important.
I've done one week of work experience at a GPs, I'm doing one week in a hospital in July and another week in a different GP, and I am also starting voluntary work with disabled children every Saturday morning and I have arranged to volunteer in a local care home in the summer. I also used to tutor children in maths (I don't know if this counts).

Is this enough or do medical applicants usually have more than this?

Thanks
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sumeyyatontus)
Hi, I'm applying for medicine this coming autumn as I'm currently studying my AS levels
I know that aside from grades the experience and work you do is also important.
I've done one week of work experience at a GPs, I'm doing one week in a hospital in July and another week in a different GP, and I am also starting voluntary work with disabled children every Saturday morning and I have arranged to volunteer in a local care home in the summer. I also used to tutor children in maths (I don't know if this counts).

Is this enough or do medical applicants usually have more than this?

Thanks
All this is very good work experience. The 'ideal' combo is some short term shadowing (e.g. a week at a GP) which you already have, plus some long-term volunteering, which you are about to start. Any work/volunteering that involves contact with the public or vulnerable groups such as children or the elderly is valuable.

The other important thing is to reflect on what you learned from your experiences in your personal statement - how it helped solidify your aim to be a doctor, how it helped improve your [insert appropriate skill here, e.g. listening, empathy, knowledge of health professions etc].

Remember to concentrate on your grades as well though - you can always get more work experience, but it's less easy to go back and retake your A-levels; only volunteer during term time if you are dealing with doing both easily.
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads