SeelLFC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of careers/study advice... I'll try to keep my circumstances easy to digest:

- Graduated university in 2013 with a 2:2 in Business Management.
- Have been on a Graduate Management Scheme (very sales based) for 18 months.
- However it isn't for me.
- Have always wanted to be an accountant, lack of UCAS points (200) held me back.
- Now looking for entry route via CIMA qualification.
- Could be exempt from entire certificate-level because of Degree.

My current plan would be to leave my full-time job and find part-time work to get me by whilst working through CIMA (Either classes or distance learning). This is based on job adverts I have seen for Assistant Accountants, which require candidates to be part-qualified in CIMA. I am hoping that I could secure one of these positions and receive funding for the remaining modules.

Just how feasible is that for a plan? What recommendations would people make for me? I'm willing to consider any suggestions - I just want to find a way in to my dream job!

Thanks,
Phil
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi
I don't know much about CIMA, but in my experience (ACA) when employers are looking for part qualifieds they want someone with that level of relevant work experience as well. It would be worth talking to an accountancy recruitment consultancy firm as they will be able to give you an idea of how potential employers would view your plans.

All the best
Pipsico
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say your plan is good, and I'd reiterate what the poster above is saying - get yourself on some agency lists.
Ideally, roles that involve variance analysis, report building, heavy use of excel, SAP/oracle/sage will give you good rounded experience for a management accounting role.

In addition, I'd really recommend Kaplan Financial to do any distance learning. They're the official textbook publishers for CIMA and will be best placed to prepare you for the exams under the new syllabus. I've qualified through them and found both their tuition and online stuff to be really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads