The Student Room Group

Nottingham Trent Psych MSc

Hello all!

I just saw that I've a conditional offer for the MSc for 2015 intake! Just checking if anyone else will be doing the same :smile:

People who've done the course or have done conversions in other schools are more than welcome to share their experiences - I was thinking of applying to Surrey, Sussex, and Oxford Brookes as well.

Have a great day x
Original post by diveslow
Hello all!

I just saw that I've a conditional offer for the MSc for 2015 intake! Just checking if anyone else will be doing the same :smile:

People who've done the course or have done conversions in other schools are more than welcome to share their experiences - I was thinking of applying to Surrey, Sussex, and Oxford Brookes as well.

Have a great day x

Hi!
I have a conditional offer to study MSc Psychology at NTU too. Allso got concitionals from Stirling, Essex, Chester, Nottinngham, Glasgow and waiting to hear from Surrey and sussex.
really cant decide so any info would be great!
Reply 2
Original post by silverpeace
Hi!
I have a conditional offer to study MSc Psychology at NTU too. Allso got concitionals from Stirling, Essex, Chester, Nottinngham, Glasgow and waiting to hear from Surrey and sussex.
really cant decide so any info would be great!

hey! i've since accepted a spot at NTU and i'm pretty stoked about it. can't give you any information since i'm an international student, but there have been good reviews of it from past students on other forums :smile:
hey! i've since accepted a spot at NTU and i'm pretty stoked about it. can't give you any information since i'm an international student, but there have been good reviews of it from past students on other forums :smile:

That's great! Congratulations!
Have you checked the accommodation options there?
Reply 4
Original post by silverpeace
That's great! Congratulations!
Have you checked the accommodation options there?

thank you! nope, i have not. i'm thinking of maybe renting a flat nearby instead, although i'm not so sure of how to go about doing that without being physically there. anyhow, do let me know if you decide to go with trent!
Reply 5
Hi just wondering if any of the current students would be able to tell me what the timetable is like for the MSc Psychology at NTU? I have an unconditional offer to start in September this year and as of yet have no idea what to expect time wise other than it will be Monday-Wednesday. I also have a part-time Job as a Youth and Families worker that I will need to do at least 24 hours a week in and want to see how much I will be needed at the University.
Reply 6
Original post by elly396
Hi just wondering if any of the current students would be able to tell me what the timetable is like for the MSc Psychology at NTU? I have an unconditional offer to start in September this year and as of yet have no idea what to expect time wise other than it will be Monday-Wednesday. I also have a part-time Job as a Youth and Families worker that I will need to do at least 24 hours a week in and want to see how much I will be needed at the University.

hey there, I'm in the course at the moment. the monday to wednesday timetable is only for the first term (oct to dec), and timings are as follows:

monday: 10-12, 2-5
tuesday: 12-2, 3-5
wed: 11-1, 2-4

there's also an extra hour scheduled on one of those days for your tutorial, but that depends on which of the few groups you get assigned to.

the timings are different in term two because you get to choose an elective, and that elective is done with the undergrads (all other modules are conducted solely with the msc cohort). the msc days for term two will be on mon and wed, and the elective requires another 4 hours of your time. you'll be given the days and timings for all the seven (i think!) electives so you can decide which suits you best

am not sure if the timetable will remain the same for this coming intake, but i hope this helps!
Reply 7
Hi how has the course gone as I'm thinking of applying for the same course for this Sept so any candid tips etc would be really welcome. I have tried to extract a pre reading list from the dept but they haven't responded and it's been two weeks so feeling a little anxious about the standards there - can you help?
thank you

hey there, I'm in the course at the moment. the monday to wednesday timetable is only for the first term (oct to dec), and timings are as follows:

monday: 10-12, 2-5
tuesday: 12-2, 3-5
wed: 11-1, 2-4

there's also an extra hour scheduled on one of those days for your tutorial, but that depends on which of the few groups you get assigned to.

the timings are different in term two because you get to choose an elective, and that elective is done with the undergrads (all other modules are conducted solely with the msc cohort). the msc days for term two will be on mon and wed, and the elective requires another 4 hours of your time. you'll be given the days and timings for all the seven (i think!) electives so you can decide which suits you best

am not sure if the timetable will remain the same for this coming intake, but i hope this helps!
Reply 8
thank you so much Diveslow.
Can you give any advice for me at this point with regards to reading or anything generally which you think would be helpful during the course etc.
I am a mature student and a little concerned about being the oldest etc etc ha!
x
Reply 9
Original post by sr03
Hi how has the course gone as I'm thinking of applying for the same course for this Sept so any candid tips etc would be really welcome. I have tried to extract a pre reading list from the dept but they haven't responded and it's been two weeks so feeling a little anxious about the standards there - can you help?
thank you

I've accepted an offer for the part time MSc Psychology starting in September and seem to be in the same boat as you. I've tried getting in touch with the department a couple of times about timetabling for the part time course and preliminary reading but had no response. Have you had anything back? And did you decide to take the place? I'm a mature student too so you won't be the only one!

Sal
Reply 10
Hi Sal
No luck so a bit despondent really as it will be a major change in my life so could do with someone taking queries seriously especially as they are no doubt standard queries we are asking.
x

Original post by sal63189
I've accepted an offer for the part time MSc Psychology starting in September and seem to be in the same boat as you. I've tried getting in touch with the department a couple of times about timetabling for the part time course and preliminary reading but had no response. Have you had anything back? And did you decide to take the place? I'm a mature student too so you won't be the only one!

Sal
Reply 11
Original post by sr03
Hi Sal
No luck so a bit despondent really as it will be a major change in my life so could do with someone taking queries seriously especially as they are no doubt standard queries we are asking.
x

Same here. I'm wondering if they've all disappeared on holiday now that term has finished. It's so frustrating - I'm trying to sort out part time employment and it's really limiting my options not knowing when and how often I have to be in uni. Here's hoping we get answers soon! If I hear anything I'll be sure to let you know :smile:
x
Reply 12
I had accepted an offer for a P/T MSc in Forensic Mental Health and NTU and today I have just withdrawn as I was fed up of not getting a response, among other reasons. I work full-time and needed to arrange with my employer a reduction in my working hours but couldn't do that without knowing when I would need to be on campus. I was initially told that timetables would be released in June, then when I spoke to someone last, they advised I would not be issued with a timetable until I had enrolled on the course.

The communication at NTU is incredibly poor! I thought if it is this difficult to get hold of someone now, what is it going to be like once I'm a student?

I have accepted an offer from Derby instead now and they couldn't be more helpful. I am in frequent contact with the course leader and I already have a copy of my timetable.

Hope NTU stop messing people around and appreciate that not every Postgraduate student can study without the need of a P/T job.
Reply 13
HI Alan
Thanks for sharing your experience - it seems we are all be treating the same so it is the culture of the place.
After reading your note, I wrote to Derby Uni to see if they have room on their Dev Psy course as I have lost complete confidence in NTU. Fortunately I can drive so have the choice but it would be a miserable experience to have to attend a Uni you have no faith in so early on in the proceedings.
I do hope all goes well for you at Derby.
Sally

Original post by Alan88
I had accepted an offer for a P/T MSc in Forensic Mental Health and NTU and today I have just withdrawn as I was fed up of not getting a response, among other reasons. I work full-time and needed to arrange with my employer a reduction in my working hours but couldn't do that without knowing when I would need to be on campus. I was initially told that timetables would be released in June, then when I spoke to someone last, they advised I would not be issued with a timetable until I had enrolled on the course.

The communication at NTU is incredibly poor! I thought if it is this difficult to get hold of someone now, what is it going to be like once I'm a student?

I have accepted an offer from Derby instead now and they couldn't be more helpful. I am in frequent contact with the course leader and I already have a copy of my timetable.

Hope NTU stop messing people around and appreciate that not every Postgraduate student can study without the need of a P/T job.
Reply 14
Original post by sr03
HI Alan
Thanks for sharing your experience - it seems we are all be treating the same so it is the culture of the place.
After reading your note, I wrote to Derby Uni to see if they have room on their Dev Psy course as I have lost complete confidence in NTU. Fortunately I can drive so have the choice but it would be a miserable experience to have to attend a Uni you have no faith in so early on in the proceedings.
I do hope all goes well for you at Derby.
Sally

Hi Sally,

Good luck with your communication with Derby, I hope you find they as helpful as I have.

I am relying on the train to get me to Derby and have to pass through Nottingham. I think for an extra 25 minutes on the train, I would rather give my money to a University that appreciates what I am able to bring to the programme.

I had high hopes for NTU, it is a shame they don't understand the struggles Postgraduate students have with trying to balance work and education.

Bit short notice but Derby have a Postgraduate Open Morning tomorrow between 10am - 1pm. You may still be able to book onto it and find out more about the course.

Good luck with your decision. :smile:
Reply 15
Hi all,

Reading back over this thread it sounds like this information is coming to late, but last night I got an email from the NTU MSc Psych course leader that proved to be very useful.

Apparently teaching is Mon-Weds. Part-time students are in on Mondays (for Research Methods and Statistics) and one other day (either Tues or Weds). In the second year of part-time or term 2 of full-time, you get elective modules which are timetabled with undergrads, so they can't say until you have chosen your elective in the second year what days they would be on.

I was also sent a pretty detailed course information document from last year with some reading for each core module which I'm happy to share.

Hope that helps somebody and best of luck to us all!
Sally
Reply 16
thanks for the info Sally.

QUOTE=sal63189;72603636]Hi all,

Reading back over this thread it sounds like this information is coming to late, but last night I got an email from the NTU MSc Psych course leader that proved to be very useful.

Apparently teaching is Mon-Weds. Part-time students are in on Mondays (for Research Methods and Statistics) and one other day (either Tues or Weds). In the second year of part-time or term 2 of full-time, you get elective modules which are timetabled with undergrads, so they can't say until you have chosen your elective in the second year what days they would be on.

I was also sent a pretty detailed course information document from last year with some reading for each core module which I'm happy to share.

Hope that helps somebody and best of luck to us all!
Sally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending