How to have Non alcohol Fun in UK? Watch

Rebelliar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys! Planning to go to UK soon, and I heard from many friends who have either studied there or visited there that:
1. In most places other than London, stores and food places close at around 5pm, so they will complain night life in UK is very boring unless you drink and club.
2. Young adults in UK drink to get drunk to have fun, so as someone who prefer not to drink alcohol, it's hard to enjoy yourself.
3. There won't be any fun places open at night other than pubs and clubs.

Now, I am aware they serve non alcoholic drinks in pubs, and I also know that not EVERYONE likes to get drunk. I'm also very okay with hanging out with people who do drink and chat, but not until the level of intoxication.

So basically my question is, for someone who prefers not to drink alcohol, is there any places I can go to to hang out and socialize/meet new people that are not pubs or clubs?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rebelliar)
Hi guys! Planning to go to UK soon, and I heard from many friends who have either studied there or visited there that:
1. In most places other than London, stores and food places close at around 5pm, so they will complain night life in UK is very boring unless you drink and club.
2. Young adults in UK drink to get drunk to have fun, so as someone who prefer not to drink alcohol, it's hard to enjoy yourself.
3. There won't be any fun places open at night other than pubs and clubs.

Now, I am aware they serve non alcoholic drinks in pubs, and I also know that not EVERYONE likes to get drunk. I'm also very okay with hanging out with people who do drink and chat, but not until the level of intoxication.

So basically my question is, for someone who prefers not to drink alcohol, is there any places I can go to to hang out and socialize/meet new people that are not pubs or clubs?
You wouldn't normally meet new people in pubs/clubs unless they are friends of friends- you tend to go with people you already know. If you are coming to go to university here then most universities have societies, some of which involve taking part in an activity that doesn't revolve around drinking. A lot of students enjoy having film nights. We also have theatres and concert venues which do evening performances/gigs
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Only sober fun stuff I do is outdoor type stuff such as mountain biking or driving at illegal speeds on an open country road. These aint much fun at night tho. Other than stuff like that I just get pissed. Cant even remember the last time I went to the cinema.
Gaming also used to be my life. Cant stand it anymore but I wish I still enjoyed it. Would be nice if all I needed to enjoy my life was a PS4 and some software.

I guess you can meet new people by going to clubs, as in some sort of hobby club, not a nightclub. Apparently there are even clubs for people who play something called Chess! So it shouldnt be too difficult to find one involving something your into.
idontevenbeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Gah I HATE drinking, seriously I've had like four drinks since I turned 18 in January; one was on my birthday, two was at a meal and the other was at a party the day after the meal and I pretty much only drank because everyone else was. I could live without drinking and I'm not looking foreward to uni because of how drunk people get :/
Bellerin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have loads of arab mates who dont drink and they all go to shisha bars at night, they are good fun and have great food/tea/music/shisha.
Y?Melisa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by idontevenbeth)
Gah I HATE drinking, seriously I've had like four drinks since I turned 18 in January; one was on my birthday, two was at a meal and the other was at a party the day after the meal and I pretty much only drank because everyone else was. I could live without drinking and I'm not looking foreward to uni because of how drunk people get :/
Same here! The only alcoholic drink I like was a drink called 'Shandy'... and its basically lemonade with 1% alcohol.
I don't understand how people can enjoy themselves getting drunk. I much rather remember the fun than black out and dunno what happened with a ridiculous headache the next morning.
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Y?Melisa)
Same here! The only alcoholic drink I like was a drink called 'Shandy'... and its basically lemonade with 1% alcohol.
I don't understand how people can enjoy themselves getting drunk. I much rather remember the fun than black out and dunno what happened with a ridiculous headache the next morning.
Do you always live your life on either end of the extremes? Because you can go out and have 2 or 3 beers and feel really nice buzz and stop there. It doesn't always have to be vodka shots and waking up in an ambulance.
idontevenbeth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
Do you always live your life on either end of the extremes? Because you can go out and have 2 or 3 beers and feel really nice buzz and stop there. It doesn't always have to be vodka shots and waking up in an ambulance.
I feel tipsy with one beer and it's not a nice buzz at all I just feel sick when I drink
Y?Melisa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
I personally can't take alcohol. I drink 1 cup of beer and i feel sick and awful. I wished i can 'feel a nice buzz' as you say, but some people really don't get the buzz and just feel sick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (77)
67.54%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.42%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.04%

Watched Threads