The Student Room Group

Is architecture for me? (any architects here?)

Hi, I'm Emma and I'm starting A levels next year but I'm already concerned about what Im going to do at uni. The subjects I'm going to take are Maths, Physics, Economics, and Psychology. I'm also currently studying AP World History at my US school ( they told me it could be useful and AP is an official equivalent for an A Level).
So, I've been thinking about architecture lately. My strongest side is technical, i.e. maths and physics, but I'm also pretty good at drawing (above average, I'd say). So this is my first question: how artsy do you need to be to become a good architect? is, um, above average fine?

My second concern appeared after I've read some architects' blogs and threads and discovered that there are ridiculously lots of ones who are either depressed by the workload, unsatisfied by the results, or just disappointed by the course in general. So, is it really that hard to get through the course? (for a very hard-working person, who doesn't really want to dedicate their WHOLE time suffering in the studios)

at last but not least, I'm a girl. Everyone keeps telling me that architecture is mainly for males and I kind of agree. it is not about sexism, but about the lifestyle and environment; if I'll be the only girl in the group, I'll feel pretty lonely there. are there lots of girls studying architecture?

sorry I've written a lot; hope you've made it to the end. thanks in advance!!
A really good friend of mine qualified as an architect about a year or so ago, she loves it, works for an amazing firm and during her post-grad had the opportunity to work on amazing projects like Project Detroit (which is super interesting and based on the urban regeneration of Detroit...think the transformation of Shoreditch on a city-wide level).

what you need to bear in mind, is that if your end goal is to become an architect then be prepared to out in around 7-8 years of study, it's tough, it's long but hugely satisfying once you make it.

Best of luck
Reply 2
Original post by Paulwyn
A really good friend of mine qualified as an architect about a year or so ago, she loves it, works for an amazing firm and during her post-grad had the opportunity to work on amazing projects like Project Detroit (which is super interesting and based on the urban regeneration of Detroit...think the transformation of Shoreditch on a city-wide level).

what you need to bear in mind, is that if your end goal is to become an architect then be prepared to out in around 7-8 years of study, it's tough, it's long but hugely satisfying once you make it.

Best of luck

why are saying 7-8 years? or you mean in total with an experience-gaining period?
thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by EmmaNuel8
why are saying 7-8 years? or you mean in total with an experience-gaining period?
thanks for the reply :smile:

Take a look here http://www.architecture.com/RIBA/Becomeanarchitect/Route%20to%20becoming%20an%20architect/Routetoqualificationasanarchitect.aspx but yes you're right it is in part due to the need for practical experience.

My friend, she did her UG at UWE before completing at UEL and London Met CASS. I think it's one of those industries were the calibre of course is far more important (and know) than the overall ranking of the university

how artsy do you need to be to become a good architect? is, um, above average fine?

My second concern appeared after I've read some architects' blogs and threads and discovered that there are ridiculously lots of ones who are either depressed by the workload, unsatisfied by the results, or just disappointed by the course in general. So, is it really that hard to get through the course? (for a very hard-working person, who doesn't really want to dedicate their WHOLE time suffering in the studios)

at last but not least, I'm a girl. Everyone keeps telling me that architecture is mainly for males and I kind of agree. it is not about sexism, but about the lifestyle and environment; if I'll be the only girl in the group, I'll feel pretty lonely there. are there lots of girls studying architecture?

To your first question: yes, above average is just fine! A lot of the time, people who do best are not necessarily the best artists (though obviously a strong portfolio is ultimately going to get you in to architecture school). I'd have classed myself similarly to yourself, so I wouldn't worry!

Secondly: architecture school is hard work. There are no bones about it! However, it's a different sort of hard work - yes there will be times when you spend long long hours in studio, but it's a real sociable thing - not like sitting in the library writing an essay all alone. And there's plenty of time for having a life outside of it all if you manage your time well! :smile:

And thirdly: Whilst the architectural profession is very heavily male dominated (for many many reasons), actually, architecture schools tend to be pretty evenly balanced. There's just a much smaller percentage of girls who graduate in architecture who go on to be fully qualified - with many ending up in associated industries, be they construction, development or design! There may not be as many women in the profession, but on all of my internships etc there's always been other female architects around. I don't know if you've come across the Architect's Journal 'Women in Architecture' campaign, but they're seeking to raise the profile of women in architecture, and highlight inequalities within the profession. I really wouldn't be put off by the thought of being the only girl though - it's unlikely to be the case! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
To your first question: yes, above average is just fine! A lot of the time, people who do best are not necessarily the best artists (though obviously a strong portfolio is ultimately going to get you in to architecture school). I'd have classed myself similarly to yourself, so I wouldn't worry!

Secondly: architecture school is hard work. There are no bones about it! However, it's a different sort of hard work - yes there will be times when you spend long long hours in studio, but it's a real sociable thing - not like sitting in the library writing an essay all alone. And there's plenty of time for having a life outside of it all if you manage your time well! :smile:

And thirdly: Whilst the architectural profession is very heavily male dominated (for many many reasons), actually, architecture schools tend to be pretty evenly balanced. There's just a much smaller percentage of girls who graduate in architecture who go on to be fully qualified - with many ending up in associated industries, be they construction, development or design! There may not be as many women in the profession, but on all of my internships etc there's always been other female architects around. I don't know if you've come across the Architect's Journal 'Women in Architecture' campaign, but they're seeking to raise the profile of women in architecture, and highlight inequalities within the profession. I really wouldn't be put off by the thought of being the only girl though - it's unlikely to be the case! :smile:

thanks a lot, your reply is very helpful! I've never heard of "Women in Architecture", definitely should look up for it:smile:
Reply 6
ooh, and i forgot to mention the one last thing:
I've heard that architects do a lot of public speaking. while i'm a sociable person, I become very nervous presenting in front of a group of people (more than 5-7) for an unknown reason.
what kind of presentations do architects do?
will it be an obstacle for me?
thanks a lot, your reply is very helpful! I've never heard of "Women in Architecture", definitely should look up for it:smile:

Idk if you can see this without a subscription, but here is a link. If not, Archdaily has some pretty good summaries I think? Can be found here

I've heard that architects do a lot of public speaking. while i'm a sociable person, I become very nervous presenting in front of a group of people (more than 5-7) for an unknown reason.
what kind of presentations do architects do?
will it be an obstacle for me?

It varies course to course, but we had a lot of support in terms of presentations, and plenty of group presentations before we ever had to present on our own! We were also never really expected to present to much more than 10 people before we got to second year, either :smile:
Hi Emma,

I did architecture for 5 years (3 years in uni, 1 year out and 1 gap year placement before uni) before giving up to do other design related fields. You need to do work experience to see for yourself if this is what you want to do. I spent my first ever experience drawing disable toilets for Barrett homes, somehow I wasn't phase by this to later going on to do my degree.

The drop out rate is 40% on the course, and then even after that, there's a dropout rate after graduation and at part 2 and 3.
It took 5 years and doing work experience in 5 different architecture firms through university and after to realise it wasn't for me. I worked at the bigger practices with 100 people, to small practices with only 5 people in the office. But having an architecture degree isn't a bad thing, you makes you a better designer and show the ability to do other design fields.

There are a few things in architects that make them who they are:
- Patience (you need loads of it to endure the 7 plus + of study, as well as drawing the same drawing over and over again.)
- Ability to not to be phrased by the word 'No' or negative criticism. Sometimes your work gets insulted by tutors, sometimes by other students.
- Have balls (do crits infront of people you don't know)
- There are girls on the part 1 course but most do drop out after to pursue other design fields. Most of the girly princess girls don't make the cut because you have to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in e.g. material skipping, model making, workshop making.
- Not an emotional person
- Physical and mental stamina - You spend most of the time in front of a computer/laptop, sometimes in the studio, or just by yourself. Yes, you will be doing it infront of your pc till most nights.
- Willing to sacrifice social life, boyfriend, girlfriend etc.
- Loads of money. Parents, or family to support you to study for 7 years. It's not cheap, you have to pay a fee every year to have the word 'Architect' under your name, expensive field trips, materials, printing etc.

Pick the right architecture course for you, do you want to design proper buildings, or something more artys and installation like stuff?
London based universities will be more art orientated.

What architects and buildings do you like?
I was never into skyscraper buildings, or mega structures but more experience oriented buildings (e.g theatres, art studios etc) so ended up at Westminster.

Also there are easier universities for architecture which if you do some digging around, you can find out which ones they are.
Don't go to the Bartlett if you want an easy life, not only do you have to design pieces of art, you have to back it up with architecture too.
Reply 9
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs

Pick the right architecture course for you, do you want to design proper buildings, or something more artys and installation like stuff?
London based universities will be more art orientated.

What architects and buildings do you like?
I was never into skyscraper buildings, or mega structures but more experience oriented buildings (e.g theatres, art studios etc) so ended up at Westminster.

Also there are easier universities for architecture which if you do some digging around, you can find out which ones they are.
Don't go to the Bartlett if you want an easy life, not only do you have to design pieces of art, you have to back it up with architecture too.

Thanks for your reply!

As I said, I'm not that much of an artsy person, so the construction field is more comfortable for me. But I did consider going to London, though.

I admire modern architecture, especially the projects of Zaha Hadid; she's incredible. However, I also like the old-styled buildings, e.g. Renaissance architecture is amazing.

I am a quite hardworking person and I don't seek for an easy life at the university. I do take the education seriously and aim at the top universities. My only concern was that would it be really frustrating for a person who's not THAt passionate in architecture?

Did you drop out the course or you're still in?:smile:
Thanks for your reply!

As I said, I'm not that much of an artsy person, so the construction field is more comfortable for me. But I did consider going to London, though.

I admire modern architecture, especially the projects of Zaha Hadid; she's incredible. However, I also like the old-styled buildings, e.g. Renaissance architecture is amazing.

I am a quite hardworking person and I don't seek for an easy life at the university. I do take the education seriously and aim at the top universities. My only concern was that would it be really frustrating for a person who's not THAt passionate in architecture?

Did you drop out the course or you're still in?:smile:

I think pick a university outside London would be a better idea, somewhere like Sheffield, Bath, Manchester, Glasgow, UWE, Cardiff, Portsmouth etc. The ones that offer a 'general' architecture course, as it will save you from having to spend a year creating blobby installations and taking pictures of egg cartons at a London university for the year (I know this, as this is what I did with other students).

As for London, you can start looking for graduate jobs to relocate here. So waiting 3 years after degree isn't a long wait. That way you can enjoy living in London like a proper Londoner, not as a broke student.

If you had to design a building, would you prefer to create something like Zaha Hadid with curves, or more traditional? You are generally one, and not another other.

If you like traditional buildings, or japanese style, London Met would be an ideal university for example.
If I had to design a Zaha Hadid building I would have a mega fit. She likes to design out of context for the sake of vanity, a bit like the lemon squeezer by philippe starck. Looks good, but has design flaws. I know plenty of architects who design this way, they end up working at the bigger architecture practice for star architects.

No, I finished my degree. I just didn't continue my part 2 / masters. I refuse to pay £20k in living and student fees for another 2 years.

You don't have to be passionate about architecture to do it, you just have to have a high tolerant and patience. Architecture is a highly challenging and mental stimulating subject to study, you will never be bored.

Do you have a design curiosity and imagination to look at a space and rethink of its use?
If yes, then I think you are a designer/ architect in mind.
It's a good degree to have even if you don't want to become an architect after.
Reply 11
Hi, I'm Emma and I'm starting A levels next year but I'm already concerned about what Im going to do at uni. The subjects I'm going to take are Maths, Physics, Economics, and Psychology. I'm also currently studying AP World History at my US school ( they told me it could be useful and AP is an official equivalent for an A Level).
So, I've been thinking about architecture lately. My strongest side is technical, i.e. maths and physics, but I'm also pretty good at drawing (above average, I'd say). So this is my first question: how artsy do you need to be to become a good architect? is, um, above average fine?

sorry I've written a lot; hope you've made it to the end. thanks in advance!!

As a female architectural graduate, I would shout GO FOR IT. My graduating year was about 50-50 split in gender. This is not unusual - most unis are similar now.
DO NOT agree with them when they say it's for boys. This is 2015.
See Emma Watson as reference:

I would say, yes it is hard, yes it can get you down. But you won't find many people in life who are passionate about their work who don't get a little frustrated at times.

YES it is a course that asks for long hours, and there were a few on our course that got depressed. I believe that this is more to do with the pressure we put on each other as fellow students (competition) rather than the course itself.

A fellow archi-student and housemate got a 2:1 (same as me) by working hard between 9am and 3pm, then going surfing and chilling out. I worked at a less intensive level, but from 7.30am to 6pm, and did a lot of running. A LOT of the others worked 7.30am to midnight, but could have condensed into maybe 5 hours work. This was the most stressful, ineffective way to go about it - they procrastinated a lot, but felt that they never stopped working and had no life. These were the people that got depressed. You have been warned

Also the artsy thing- It totally depends on what uni you go to. I went to Plymouth, and it is a very artistic course, with the prioirty on theory and hand drawing. Make sure you look at final degree shows in order to see the uni 'style' before you choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending