chelseacowper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
On the jan 2005 paper, I don't understand why on the mark scheme for Question 6(b) it just says "may just write it down". I don't get why that equation is used (v=Asin3x + Bcos3x) because completing part (a) gives you an auxiliary equation of "u^2 + 9 =0" which doesn't fit into any if the complimentary function formulas. Why do you use the particular integral trial solution, if that is what is actually being used as that's the only think I can seem to link it to, that includes sinx and cosx?

If you understand this (I've tried my best to explain haha) will someone please help me?
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chelseacowper)
On the jan 2005 paper, I don't understand why on the mark scheme for Question 6(b) it just says "may just write it down". I don't get why that equation is used (v=Asin3x + Bcos3x) because completing part (a) gives you an auxiliary equation of "u^2 + 9 =0" which doesn't fit into any if the complimentary function formulas. Why do you use the particular integral trial solution, if that is what is actually being used as that's the only think I can seem to link it to, that includes sinx and cosx?

If you understand this (I've tried my best to explain haha) will someone please help me?
If the roots of the auxilliary equation atre complex, i.e. p\pm q\text{j} then the complementary function is \text{e}^{px}(A\sin qx+B\cos qx) so it follows that if the auxilliary equation has roots \pm3\text{j} then the C.F. is  A\sin3x+B\cos3x since p=0\implies\text{e}^{px}=1
chelseacowper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you that's make soooo much more sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads