chunking_gerard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So i recently went for an interview at aylesbury college for a place on the access to higher education course, unfortunately i came out as a level 3 on the BKSB maths test. I'm horribly bad at maths, i actually think i have Dyscalculia.

But for me to get a place on the course i have get a level 2 in the BKSB test - i have until may 15th to revise in order to get a level 2 on my test, does anyone have an pointers or websites good for study for someone really really really bad at maths?
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chunking_gerard)
So i recently went for an interview at aylesbury college for a place on the access to higher education course, unfortunately i came out as a level 3 on the BKSB maths test. I'm horribly bad at maths, i actually think i have Dyscalculia.

But for me to get a place on the course i have get a level 2 in the BKSB test - i have until may 15th to revise in order to get a level 2 on my test, does anyone have an pointers or websites good for study for someone really really really bad at maths?
I am not familiar with BKSB but I understand that it is similar to functional skills

This may be of use

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/maths
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chunking_gerard)

You must have assessed as entry level 3 on the diagnostic assessment which means you have to revise level 1 and level 2 to reach the required standard.

The functional skills level 1 and 2 revision guides from CGP are quite good if it is revision that you are doing. You can get them on Amazon.co.uk
If you really struggle with maths and never really achieved a gcse C standard then it won't be a revision challenge, you need something more to learn from scratch. Contact Bucks Adult Learning they may be able to get you on a free workshop after Easter to help you work towards your goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
You must have assessed as entry level 3 on the test which means you have to revise level 1 and level 2 to reach the required standard.

The functional skills level 1 and 2 revision guides from CGP are quite good if it is revision that you are doing. You can get them on Amazon.co.uk
If you really struggle with maths and never really achieved a gcse C standard then it won't be a revision challenge, you need something more to learn from scratch. Contact Bucks Adult Learning they may be able to get you on a free workshop after Easter to help you work towards your goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Out of interest, what is entry level 3? is that the lowest grade you could get on that test?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by German123)
Out of interest, what is entry level 3? is that the lowest grade you could get on that test?
No, entry level 1 or entry level 2 are also possible outcomes.
People who achieve entry 3 without any preparation usually quickly move to level 1 with a bit of practice on topics they may not have looked at in a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, entry level 1 or entry level 2 are also possible outcomes.
People who achieve entry 3 without any preparation usually quickly move to level 1 with a bit of practice on topics they may not have looked at in a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok. so entry level 1 is the lowest grade then?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by German123)
ok. so entry level 1 is the lowest grade then?
The lowest level someone can assess at is entry 1. That is Not a grade as such since bksb is being used as a diagnostic assessment to indicate the approximate level someone is working at and the gaps they need to fill to progress. It's not a test that is leading to a graded qualification, for that someone would still have to take a functional skills exam of some sort.

There's a summary of the levels here
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...athematics.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The lowest level someone can assess at it entry 1. That is Not a grade as such since bksb is being used as a diagnostic assessment to indicate the approximate level someone is working at and the gaps they need to fill to progress. It's not a test that is leading to a graded qualification, for that someone would still have to take a functional skills exam of some sort.

There's a summary of the levels here
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...athematics.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply, I was just confused a bit.
chunking_gerard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i was also confused but i understand its

entry 1
entry 2
entry 3 (what i was assesed at)
level 1
level 2

thanks for all your comments, ive got 2 months to practice my socks off hopefully to get at least a level 1 or 2 if im lucky.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads