what's a typical AS level timetable like? Watch

EmmaNuel8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm starting A levels next year and have no idea what a day of an A level student is like.
I've heard the day is pretty relaxed? well, more relaxed than in the US high school, for example, since there are only about 4-5 courses to study. Also, is it true that your day can start at 10 or 11? and you can even have 1 or 2 lessons one day?

P.S. I'm taking 4, or probably 5 courses.
InfoOverload
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know if your school will do it differently, but here's how it works at my school:
- I am taking 5 As levels at the moment.
- Each subject takes up one whole morning and one whole afternoon. For example, on Tuesday I might have Maths in the Morning and Chemistry in the afternoon, and on Thursday I might have Biology in the morning and Maths in the afternoon.
- The morning lesson is 3 hours long (with a break in the middle) and the afternoon lesson is 1.5 hours long.
- For us school starts at the same time as everyone else, but in the mornings we have an hour's study period where we are expected to do homework etc.
- School ends half an our later for us.
- We get to go to lunch earlier than everyone else!!
- For us, Wednesday afternoons and Friday mornings are for enrichment activities (Further Maths, Finance, EPQ, etc.) If you don't do any of them, then you have to do PE on Wednesdays and you have a free period on Friday mornings.
- Free periods are great- if you don't have any lessons, you are expected to do any other work that you need to do. It's a great opportunity to catch up on homework!!
- Teachers treat you very differently when you are in the sixth form - they often get a lot friendlier, and treat you more like individuals, so lessons are quite relaxed.
I hope this helps!
EmmaNuel8
Rep:
?
(Original post by InfoOverload)
I don't know if your school will do it differently, but here's how it works at my school:
- I am taking 5 As levels at the moment.
- Each subject takes up one whole morning and one whole afternoon. For example, on Tuesday I might have Maths in the Morning and Chemistry in the afternoon, and on Thursday I might have Biology in the morning and Maths in the afternoon.
- The morning lesson is 3 hours long (with a break in the middle) and the afternoon lesson is 1.5 hours long.
- For us school starts at the same time as everyone else, but in the mornings we have an hour's study period where we are expected to do homework etc.
- School ends half an our later for us.
- We get to go to lunch earlier than everyone else!!
- For us, Wednesday afternoons and Friday mornings are for enrichment activities (Further Maths, Finance, EPQ, etc.) If you don't do any of them, then you have to do PE on Wednesdays and you have a free period on Friday mornings.
- Free periods are great- if you don't have any lessons, you are expected to do any other work that you need to do. It's a great opportunity to catch up on homework!!
- Teachers treat you very differently when you are in the sixth form - they often get a lot friendlier, and treat you more like individuals, so lessons are quite relaxed.
I hope this helps!
thanks for the reply! a small clarification: who do you mean by "us" and "everyone else"? (sorry, just got a little bit confused)
generally, would you say you have enough of free time to do homework and have a rest/go out? if i got it right, you spend about 4.5 hours each day studying at school?
oswalds
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is mine. In a lot of 6th forms you can leave when you don't have lessons, but we can't. Form is at 8:35, first lesson 8:55, second lesson 9:55, break 10:55, third lesson 11:15, forth lesson 12:15, lunch 1:15 and last lesson is at 2:00

Monday: Philosophy, free, Psychology, English Literature, free.
Tuesday: English Literature, Psychology, History, General Studies, free
Wednesday: History, free, English Literature, Psychology, Philosophy.
Thursday: Philosophy, History, Psychology, free, free.
Friday: free, English Literature, General Studies, History, Philosophy.

I know some people have completely full days, or days where they only have 1 or 2 lessons, depending on what subjects they take. Sometimes I'll have a free instead of a lesson when the teacher isn't there and the lesson is canceled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InfoOverload
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EmmaNuel8)
thanks for the reply! a small clarification: who do you mean by "us" and "everyone else"? (sorry, just got a little bit confused)
generally, would you say you have enough of free time to do homework and have a rest/go out? if i got it right, you spend about 4.5 hours each day studying at school?
Sorry about that! - Our sixth form is part of a secondary school, so 'us' refers to the people in sixth form (years 12 and 13) and 'everyone else' refers to the normal high school (years 7-11)

I think it depends on which subjects you do - I do mainly Maths and Science subjects, so I find that I have more than enough time to do homework and go out. If you do more essay based subjects like English and history then you generally get more essays to do, which will take longer! But either way, I think you definitely get a lot more free time - especially as you only have a few subjects to focus on, compared to the 10 or so you have at GCSE.
EmmaNuel8
Rep:
?
(Original post by oswalds)
This is mine. In a lot of 6th forms you can leave when you don't have lessons, but we can't. Form is at 8:35, first lesson 8:55, second lesson 9:55, break 10:55, third lesson 11:15, forth lesson 12:15, lunch 1:15 and last lesson is at 2:00

Monday: Philosophy, free, Psychology, English Literature, free.
Tuesday: English Literature, Psychology, History, General Studies, free
Wednesday: History, free, English Literature, Psychology, Philosophy.
Thursday: Philosophy, History, Psychology, free, free.
Friday: free, English Literature, General Studies, History, Philosophy.

I know some people have completely full days, or days where they only have 1 or 2 lessons, depending on what subjects they take. Sometimes I'll have a free instead of a lesson when the teacher isn't there and the lesson is canceled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks!
EmmaNuel8
Rep:
?
(Original post by InfoOverload)
Sorry about that! - Our sixth form is part of a secondary school, so 'us' refers to the people in sixth form (years 12 and 13) and 'everyone else' refers to the normal high school (years 7-11)

I think it depends on which subjects you do - I do mainly Maths and Science subjects, so I find that I have more than enough time to do homework and go out. If you do more essay based subjects like English and history then you generally get more essays to do, which will take longer! But either way, I think you definitely get a lot more free time - especially as you only have a few subjects to focus on, compared to the 10 or so you have at GCSE.
oh, it's good! I'm also going take mainly science classes, so I'm happy
also, does the college make you join communities/do sports (or is it only up to you)?
SophiaMeow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think every single school/college is different. I think with college, you might get a couple of days off whereas at school you're in the full 5 days. I go to a grammar school and start at 9am I usually get to leave school around 2.30pm, which I think is pretty relaxed as I also have 1-2 free periods a day, sometimes even more. Whereas the other grammar school in my town is in from 9-3.30 everyday and they have much less free time. Teachers are also a lot more relaxed with what they allow you to do, at my school if the teacher isn't in, sixth formers won't have a cover lesson. Sixth form is a lot more relaxed than GCSE etc, but the workload increases a hell of a lot (The jump from GCSE to A Level is seriously big), so it's not necessarily easier. :P
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The things I don't like is that you are not allowed to leave when you have not got any lessons.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Serio
I'm starting A levels next year and have no idea what a day of an A level student is like.
I've heard the day is pretty relaxed? well, more relaxed than in the US high school, for example, since there are only about 4-5 courses to study. Also, is it true that your day can start at 10 or 11? and you can even have 1 or 2 lessons one day?

P.S. I'm taking 4, or probably 5 courses.
Seriously you will be better of doing 4 subjects than 5 because the workload is plenty.
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really does vary between each sixth form. In some you will have a lot of free periods and only have to come in for your lessons so might start later or finish earlier. In others, like mine, it's a full 8:30-3:30 day with very few frees. (I have 38 x 35 mins teaching periods, 3 x 35 mins free periods, one tutorial period, one language assistant period and four enrichment periods a week.)

I also second the not taking five subjects thing too - four is hard enough, some people struggle even with that and take only three so four is plenty.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my sixth form, we have five one-hour teaching slots that we could have (except for Tuesdays, which has a 6th "twilight" session).
In my AS year, my timetable went roughly like
Monday: Biology P1&2, Media P3&4
Tuesday: Physics P1&2, Biology P3&4 (Media P5 every other week)
Wednesday: Maths P1&2, Physics P3&4
Thursday: Media P1&2 (Maths P5 every other week)
Friday: Maths 3&4 (Biology P5 every other week)

For about a month, I also did French, and that took up Friday P1&2 and Tuesday P6 every other week. Some sixth forms are different, but mine had a compulsory tutor session so I had to be in on a Friday morning at 8am, even though I didn't start any lesson until 11;35am. However, I was able to go home if I wanted to (never did as I lived too far away), and I could go home straight after 4th.

This year is much more relaxed for me (obviously, after having dropped Physics for A2)
Monday: Maths P1&2. Every other week, Maths P3 and Media P5
Tuesday: Media P1&2, Maths P3&4 (Biology P6 every other week)
Wednesday: Media P3&4
Thursday: Biology P3&4 - I have a tutor exemption on this day, so I rock up at school at 11;35am
Friday: Biology P1&2, Maths P5.
SophiaMeow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bethaaaaany)
It really does vary between each sixth form. In some you will have a lot of free periods and only have to come in for your lessons so might start later or finish earlier. In others, like mine, it's a full 8:30-3:30 day with very few frees. (I have 38 x 35 mins teaching periods, 3 x 35 mins free periods, one tutorial period, one language assistant period and four enrichment periods a week.)

I also second the not taking five subjects thing too - four is hard enough, some people struggle even with that and take only three so four is plenty.
I would also agree that 5 would be extremely stressful. I did 4 in Year 12 and that was plenty for me.
InfoOverload
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh, it's good! I'm also going take mainly science classes, so I'm happy
also, does the college make you join communities/do sports (or is it only up to you)?
There aren't really any communities - although you do have to join a 'cluster' (group thing) where you can do projects and leadership things- there's a community one, a charity one etc. They're supposed to directly link to year 11 prefects and what they do. In Year 13, you can apply to be a senior prefect, head girl/boy and house captain.
In terms of sports, PE is compulsory on Wednesday evenings if you are not doing something else, but its really just badminton and you don't actually have to do that much of it - I know a lot of people that turn up and just watch on the sides.
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At my college, there are 5 lessons of 1hr 15mins a day. The average day is 9-4, and as most people do 4 AS levels, they get one free period a day, and one lesson of each class a day. Wednesday is the AS study day.

Lunch is 12.45-1.30, and during one free period there's personal tutor, which takes about 30 minutes maximum. Whenever there's a free period, you can do whatever, as our college is so large they don't really give one. People often leave to go to tesco or mcdonalds during their frees, or go home if they can get a lift/live near enough.
username368993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you have study periods then you should, from experience, spend them studying, rather than going home etc. It pays off
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm at A2 doing German, Maths and Geography, and last year I did History AS and the EPQ too

Currently, out of 25 hours of potential teaching time per week, I have 11 hours of lessons one week, and 14 hours the other. The rest of the time is in frees. I usually have 2-3 lessons a today, and never have more than four. Every other Monday I just have one lesson (last period unfortunately)
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
4 + a language you're already well versed in probably won't be a huge problem.

I do five AS levels and only have two free periods a week, so keep that in mind.
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did think about it... it's just the 2 courses out of 5 are quite easy: Psychology (my friend said so) and Russian (which i already know well). i'm not sure about how hard psychology is, though.

does anyone study it?

Well it is your decision at the end of the day but I just feel like 5 is too much.

Anyway you could always drop any 2 you are not happy with.
morgan8002
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Last year I took A2 maths, AS further maths, biology, chemistry, physics and IGCSE English.

My timetable was as follows:
Monday
biology(9-11:45), chemistry(1:15-2:15), physics(2:15-4:30 with 15 min break)
Tuesday
further maths D1(9-10:30), maths C3/C4(10:45-12:15), physics(1:15-2:15), chemistry(2:15-4:30 with 15 min break)
Wednesday
physics(9-10:30), further maths FP1(10:45-12:15), biology(2:15-4:30)
Thursday
further maths M1(9-10:30), maths D2(10:45-11:45), tutor(1:15-2:15), English(2:15-4:30 with 15 min break)
Friday
chemistry(9-10:30), English(1:15-2:15), maths C3/C4(2:15-4:30 with 15 min break)

I don't remember my timetable from last year by heart, most of my lessons are the same now so it's just a few changes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads