The Student Room Group

Reference Websites - Cheating?

Basically, if I use a reference website such as refme.com or citethisforme.com is it cheating? Do I have to write out my references all myself or is it okay to use an automatic website?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by R_Scudamore

Basically, if I use a reference website such as refme.com or citethisforme.com is it cheating? Do I have to write out my references all myself or is it okay to use an automatic website?
No this isn't cheating - the way you write out references is standardised, this is just a tool to help you get it done quicker :smile: :h: You do need to make sure you're citing the same edition of the book though, otherwise your page references will be inaccurate.
Reply 3
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
No this isn't cheating - the way you write out references is standardised, this is just a tool to help you get it done quicker :smile: :h: You do need to make sure you're citing the same edition of the book though, otherwise your page references will be inaccurate.

Ah thanks very much for reassuring me. I'll be saving a lot of time from now.
Original post by R_Scudamore

Ah thanks very much for reassuring me. I'll be saving a lot of time from now.
The easiest way to manage references (I've found) is to keep a log of your references as you go along. :h: Don't leave it all until you've finished your essay - that's a nightmare! :lol:

I've never used a citation tool like that, I just log them in a spreadsheet. :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest