starcoaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have a C855-253 that i haven't cleaned since I got it, manily because if i broke it i'd have no backup PC. However i've just got a new PC, so does anyone know how to disassemble the damn thing? Taking all the screws out doesn't work, there are screws under the keyboard that i physically cannot get to because the keyboard is refusing to move.

I could, of course, take a hammer to it, but i do intend to keep using it.

I'm not sending it to toshiba. They'll charge me a bloody fortune just to clean a heatsink and replace a fan.

Any help appreciated.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by starcoaster)
I have a C855-253 that i haven't cleaned since I got it, manily because if i broke it i'd have no backup PC. However i've just got a new PC, so does anyone know how to disassemble the damn thing? Taking all the screws out doesn't work, there are screws under the keyboard that i physically cannot get to because the keyboard is refusing to move.

I could, of course, take a hammer to it, but i do intend to keep using it.

I'm not sending it to toshiba. They'll charge me a bloody fortune just to clean a heatsink and replace a fan.

Any help appreciated.
Have you looked for teardown guides/videos?

Would any of the disassembly videos in this link be of use to you?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...5+disassembly+

I know it isn't your exact model, but as long as the chassis is/looks the same, the procedure will be more or less the same.

If you were local to me, I could have done if for you lol.
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For removing keyboards on some laptops, sometimes a screwdriver with a flat edge helps pry/lift the keyboard up and out.

Disclaimer: Depends on model to model, use caution and beware of any attached ribbon cables!!
starcoaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
For removing keyboards on some laptops, sometimes a screwdriver with a flat edge helps pry/lift the keyboard up and out.

Disclaimer: Depends on model to model, use caution and beware of any attached ribbon cables!!
Have you looked for teardown guides/videos?

Would any of the disassembly videos in this link be of use to you?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...5+disassembly+

I know it isn't your exact model, but as long as the chassis is/looks the same, the procedure will be more or less the same.

If you were local to me, I could have done if for you lol.
tried looking at some tear-downs, they're of different models and they seem to have a much easier job.

the keyboard is so firmly sealed to the classis i'll probably fracture it if i try to remove it if i'm honest. I may try using a can of CO2 to blow the heatsink out, even if it does risk damaging the ball race in the fan bearing. It's going home anyway but if i can't get the thing open i've got no hope in hell of getting ot it
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
tried looking at some tear-downs, they're of different models and they seem to have a much easier job.
Yes, but did you take a look whether they have the same chassis design?

I may try using a can of CO2 to blow the heatsink out, even if it does risk damaging the ball race in the fan bearing.
Shouldn't be a problem to be honest. I've vacuumed fans, blew them with compressed air, and haven't any problems yet. They do have a bit of tolerance. Though when using compressed air, just be careful to not blow any moisture into the computer (some of the cheaper cans do), and avoid the cheap rubbish cans of compressed air. They are less effective than blowing yourself, and contain heaps of moisture.
starcoaster
Rep:
?
Yes, but did you take a look whether they have the same chassis design?

Shouldn't be a problem to be honest. I've vacuumed fans, blew them with compressed air, and haven't any problems yet. They do have a bit of tolerance. Though when using compressed air, just be careful to not blow any moisture into the computer (some of the cheaper cans do), and avoid the cheap rubbish cans of compressed air. They are less effective than blowing yourself, and contain heaps of moisture.
chassis design was extremely similar and they had no trouble and didn't need to remove the keyboard. I can see that i will have to though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads