An unexpected 6 months out of university Watch

Accountsey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am new to the forums so I have no idea where to put this, sorry! I am a second year student.

To give a back story, I have suffered from anxiety since I was 6 years old. During December, my panic attacks flared up and I would often cry about getting 2:1/2:2's - I got all firsts bar one on my first year. I felt like I was failing, even though I was still getting mostly firsts, it was the occasional other grade that was knocking me off. I usually start my revision for my exams in February because I am a gradual learner. During early March, however, I started to exert signs of depression - I often threw my revision on the floor after the one mistake in an account proforma, screaming "I can't do it". Other behaviours include: struggling to speak in conversation, uncontrollable crying, irrational thoughts about the future, drowsiness and feeling lethargic.

I genuinely felt like I could not take my exams this year and so I went to my parents about it. They took me to the doctors last week and I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety and moderate depression. I made the tough decision to go and see my university about it. Whilst my friends and family have been incredibly supportive so far, the exam season was an added pressure.

I have been suspended for a year on health grounds, I was not really expecting to get the opportunity to carry my grades over from this year to next year. Whilst I feel relief, I also feel helpless. I have no idea what to do with this newfound time I have acquired.

Has anyone been through a similar circumstance? Any advice?
eskimo_rising
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got a chronic condition and get depression with it.

The problem is everyone is different but I would get a part time job at the very least, it's not healthy to vegetate at home when you depression, it's a surefire way to give yourself to much time to let your thoughts get more anxious and depressive.

Socialize enough to make you happy but not enough to make you worse, try and keep your independence- when I came home to live at my parents after living alone on my first degree it was really tough.

What have you tried up to this point? Relaxation techniques, medicine, talking therapies? It's hard to advise without the facts but the most important thing is to be patient and kind with yourself! You'll get better faster if your not getting stressed out, stress is a huge factor in these things. Surround yourself with positive people and forgive the people that are bringing you down.

Do you have to move back home?
Accountsey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by eskimo_rising)
I've got a chronic condition and get depression with it.

The problem is everyone is different but I would get a part time job at the very least, it's not healthy to vegetate at home when you depression, it's a surefire way to give yourself to much time to let your thoughts get more anxious and depressive.

Socialize enough to make you happy but not enough to make you worse, try and keep your independence- when I came home to live at my parents after living alone on my first degree it was really tough.

What have you tried up to this point? Relaxation techniques, medicine, talking therapies? It's hard to advise without the facts but the most important thing is to be patient and kind with yourself! You'll get better faster if your not getting stressed out, stress is a huge factor in these things. Surround yourself with positive people and forgive the people that are bringing you down.

Do you have to move back home?
Hi there, thank you for replying.
I currently have a weekend job, but I don't feel well enough to extend any of my hours. I am practically a shell of what I was compared to last year and fear any sort of changes at this point. I currently live at home with my parents. I wasn't ready to move out for university and wanted the money to spend on practical assets such as a good quality computer.

I am a long-term sufferer of anxiety, I tend to do yoga and draw. I have been given antidepressants and contacted my university for counselling, too. I am very thankful for my strong support network, my friends have been ringing and visiting me to see how I am and my parents have been incredible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads