username1852417
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm a current Yr 12 student of German and French. I'd like to continue German to degree level (with linguistics) and was wondering how much of the course is literature-based. I know York University's course has no compulsory literature modules. Are their other unis like this?

Also, does anyone know how literature-based Oxford modern language courses are specifically?

Thanks,

A
Examstuffxoxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry that I can't help answer your question - but as I assume that you currently study German for AS level, so I'd like to ask for some advice! (If you don't mind) I am currently doing german outside of school for AS, and although I don't have to sit the exam this year (as it is an extra), I'd like to. But I'm finding it very difficult to revise. I don't have any vocabulary lists or units, so I was just going to ask, where do you find revision material? My speaking exam will be in a month so I'm very nervous about that as well!

My prime problem is vocab though...
Thanks in advance!
L
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Most university language courses do involve at least some literature, especially for conventional joint-hons German and Linguistics programmes. If you want to avoid studying literature entirely then you may have to think outside the box and consider doing a slightly different degree, for example Southampton's German (Linguistics Studies) BA or UCL's Language and Culture BA (although the latter would involve studying a second language for the first two years). Oxford's language degrees have a reputation for being very lit heavy indeed.
username1852417
Rep:
?
Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I'll keeping looking into courses!
username1852417
Rep:
?
(Original post by Examstuffxoxo)
I'm sorry that I can't help answer your question - but as I assume that you currently study German for AS level, so I'd like to ask for some advice! (If you don't mind) I am currently doing german outside of school for AS, and although I don't have to sit the exam this year (as it is an extra), I'd like to. But I'm finding it very difficult to revise. I don't have any vocabulary lists or units, so I was just going to ask, where do you find revision material? My speaking exam will be in a month so I'm very nervous about that as well!

My prime problem is vocab though...
Thanks in advance!
L
No problem. We make absolutely loads of vocab lists in class -- the back of my workbook is full of random words to use! Vocab-wise, you could get the pdf files of the AQA vocab lists. I know there's one for GCSE; AS level, not sure but there should be one. Other than that, just look online for as many materials as you can. You should find powerpoint/slideshow-type things with vocab on. I sometimes just try writing as much as I can (on any given topic!), highlight words I had to look up and then try to remember them! Or if you come across a word you don't know, look it up and make it an aim to use it next time you write/speak... Hope that helps.
A

PS- just thought, TES resources is really good (for all subjects, not just languages). Vocab lists, revision activities and so on... just make sure you get the right course etc.
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Catona)
Hi, I'm a current Yr 12 student of German and French. I'd like to continue German to degree level (with linguistics) and was wondering how much of the course is literature-based. I know York University's course has no compulsory literature modules. Are their other unis like this?

Also, does anyone know how literature-based Oxford modern language courses are specifically?

Thanks,

A
You could take a look at Modern Languages and Linguistics course (RQ91) at Essex. That would allow you to combine German and/or French with linguistics and the courses there have virtually no literature.
such_a_lady
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Catona)

Thanks,

A
Hi, I just wrote a blog post about the Oxford course! https://carambalache.wordpress.com/2...ges-at-oxford/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (67)
23.18%
No (222)
76.82%

Watched Threads