ruthie_nuggetty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I really can't decide whether I should take Chemistry for A level next year! I am thinking of doing Biology, Geography, maybe French and maybe chemistry.
I quite like Chemistry but am finding C7 really tedious (titrations, standard solutions etc!). Is that what A level is like?
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
there's a lot of calculations for stuff like titrations, it does come up. Also, please don't take chemistry and biology a level together unless you plan on doing medicine or just realllyyy realllyy like it....it's so much work ...depends how much work you're willing to put in though
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ruthie_nuggetty)
I really can't decide whether I should take Chemistry for A level next year! I am thinking of doing Biology, Geography, maybe French and maybe chemistry.
I quite like Chemistry but am finding C7 really tedious (titrations, standard solutions etc!). Is that what A level is like?
There are titrations and similar calculations in the first year, however they are only a small part of the course and on the whole it's not tedious and is interesting.
The maths in the second year is a lot more advanced, but also a lot more fun and less tedious.

I take A2 biology and chemistry and there's no problem in terms of workload of taking both subjects. They are both interesting subjects. The subjects work together very well and you will find parts of each subject easier if you take the other. I'm going for maths and physics at uni, not medicine.
lst1708
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do subjects that you will enjoy and then work from there.

By the way, titrations do come up a fair bit but there are fun practicals too!
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
There are titrations and similar calculations in the first year, however they are only a small part of the course and on the whole it's not tedious and is interesting.
The maths in the second year is a lot more advanced, but also a lot more fun and less tedious.

I take A2 biology and chemistry and there's no problem in terms of workload of taking both subjects. They are both interesting subjects. The subjects work together very well and you will find parts of each subject easier if you take the other. I'm going for maths and physics at uni, not medicine.
I am doing A2 bio and chem, and I completely agree with this.
Tbh I think sciences have less of a workload than a lot of other subjects.
ruthie_nuggetty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely think about it....!

Posted from TSR Mobile
iLastKinq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay, from what I have learned at College, the subjects you do hardly matter. Uni's usually look for grade requirements and UCAS points. If there is something specific you want to do in Uni then look up the A Level subject requirements.
So in your instance I would take One science (either Bio or Chem) then enjoyable subjects such as Media Studies and others that may be considered an easier grade as I know science is far from easy.
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by iLastKinq)
Okay, from what I have learned at College, the subjects you do hardly matter. Uni's usually look for grade requirements and UCAS points. If there is something specific you want to do in Uni then look up the A Level subject requirements.
So in your instance I would take One science (either Bio or Chem) then enjoyable subjects such as Media Studies and others that may be considered an easier grade as I know science is far from easy.
For most subjects, A-level choice matters a lot.
binarythoughts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say go for it. A level chemistry is really interesting and the calculations are only a small part of it. There is more maths involved in A2 though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.17%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.55%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.44%
There's nothing they could do (71)
29.96%

Watched Threads