harry218
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, I am stuck deciding between an ensuite and a single.

It is £40 a week more for an ensuite roughly £1400 extra for the year. I figured it is only for the first year so why not, plus the extra cost makes an unnoticeable difference in the long run to your repayments probably an extra £3 a month when paying back(depending on salary). Although in the short run the extra £40 a week would be handy to have for going out etc. either way it will get spent.
Some single rooms have sinks which I would be happy to go for if I'd get one however it is risky to apply for single knowing theres only a 5050 chance youll get your own sink.

what is everyones thoughts on this? should I go for ensuite or single?
scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally think the extra money is worth the ensuite. I had a generous amount of student loan and grant so I could afford the extortionate costs but it was SO worth it. Definitely better than spending it on drinks or whatever that extra £40 a week would go on. If you can afford it, then go for it.
From experiences of my friends, they didn't mind having to share a bathroom, usually between 2/3 people so it's not that bad, although it could be different depending on the University.
It's really all about money, and if it's a big deal for you to have your own toilet/shower.
harry218
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ahh I see! thanks Yeah I come from a low income background so I won't have any private funding so hopefully I will get a big loan!
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by harry218)
Hey, I am stuck deciding between an ensuite and a single.

It is £40 a week more for an ensuite roughly £1400 extra for the year. I figured it is only for the first year so why not, plus the extra cost makes an unnoticeable difference in the long run to your repayments probably an extra £3 a month when paying back(depending on salary). Although in the short run the extra £40 a week would be handy to have for going out etc. either way it will get spent.
Some single rooms have sinks which I would be happy to go for if I'd get one however it is risky to apply for single knowing theres only a 5050 chance youll get your own sink.

what is everyones thoughts on this? should I go for ensuite or single?

What is the deal with cleaners?

In my first year halls, the shared bathrooms were cleaned daily, but you had to clean your own ensuite.

TRUST ME - you would much rather have clean, shared facilities than ensuite facilities that you have to clean yourself - because you won't bother.
lozzielizzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ensuite every time, I don't mind sharing toilets for a short time. But couldn't do it when living in halls which I have done for last two years and will be doing again this September. It's a comfort thing and there just something nice about your own bathroom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
What is the deal with cleaners?

In my first year halls, the shared bathrooms were cleaned daily, but you had to clean your own ensuite.

TRUST ME - you would much rather have clean, shared facilities than ensuite facilities that you have to clean yourself - because you won't bother.
In my first year halls, we got our ensuite cleaned every 2 weeks.
Vita Student
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We would recommend and en-suite room and well worth that little bit extra. From the research we have done and the feedback we have gotten from new residents is they are sick of sharing a bathroom (sometime with 6-7 people).

At our accommodation we also offer a weekly cleaning service which means they don't even have to clean it themselves, lucky lot! Worth seeing if it is also a service your accommodation is offering!

Plus you can take your time without 3 other people banging on the door as soon as you close it ... You can't beat a bit of privacy!

Hope this helps! Sophie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (75)
66.96%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.29%

Watched Threads