Vidsify
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So my brother is in the process of choosing his GCSE options and he's come home today saying they have changed how GCSEs are being graded. Instead of A*-U, they will be now marked 9-1, 9 being the highest, with the first exams taking this new system being sat in 2017. What do you all think? I think it's a bit stupid they should wait and warn the teachers, pupils and parents at least a couple of years in advance so they can prepare and get used to the new system.
scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ridiculous. Any evidence this is true?
Zmbbnbq
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/s...-gcses-in-2017
afraid it is... Here is the evidence
GentleRainAimie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This was announced last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vidsify
Rep:
?
The government need to stop changing things and start improving major aspects like teaching and course content. The old system was fine. Spoke to some of my old GCSE teachers and they said they are so used to marking the old system how on earth are they going to change over. Pathetic that's all I can say!
simon_g
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that's the small change, hardly anything to be worry about.
instead of A* one will get 9. big deal.
Shadez
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by simon_g)
The old system is on a 8 point scale A*- G and the new one being a 9 point scale and so a 9 would be a higher grade than an A*.

EDIT: Unless a 1 is equivalent to a U in which case scrap what I've just said
onderk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Subjects, papers, mark schemes, grades. Basically the whole curriculum changes for Maths especially, not sure about English - I do know that they are removing American literature i.e Of Mice and Men

Everything is getting harder for teachers in reality
simon_g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by onderk)
Subjects, papers, mark schemes, grades. Basically the whole curriculum changes for Maths especially, not sure about English - I do know that they are removing American literature i.e Of Mice and Men

Everything is getting harder for teachers in reality
oh, I didn't know that. I was just relating to the changes in the grading system.
What is exactly changing in maths curriculum? I hope they do not want to dumb it down
onderk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh, I didn't know that. I was just relating to the changes in the grading system.
What is exactly changing in maths curriculum? I hope they do not want to dumb it down
In maths the top topics (A*, A blah blah) are trignometry 3d, histograms, vectors etc

Now I am seeing topics like composite functions, velocity time graphs, exponential function. It doesn't seem like they are making it easier.

I am just happy that I will be doing normal GCSE's
simon_g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by onderk)
In maths the top topics (A*, A blah blah) are trignometry 3d, histograms, vectors etc

Now I am seeing topics like composite functions, velocity time graphs, exponential function. It doesn't seem like they are making it easier.

I am just happy that I will be doing normal GCSE's
oh, I see. will the A-level materials be amended somehow? in my humble opinion it would make more sense to put 12 grade system and include A-level materials in it.
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're also scrapping coursework too, I believe for every subject (although I assume excluding languages. Can hardly have a GCSE on listening and reading? Idk)

Was talking to my English teacher about it today for the younger years - they now have to do one extra language and literature paper in replacement of all coursework. An awful idea I think.
Vidsify
Rep:
?
They are adding aspects of ALevel maths into GCSE some bits like vectors and projectiles from mechanics and some bits from C1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.78%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.59%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.95%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.59%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.08%

Watched Threads