23 year old looking to get back into education Watch

HollyLouise0524
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently in full time employment but lately I have felt lost, no goal in life, when I suddenly realised its because I am not pursuing my dream which is to work with animals or help people in bad situations i.e violent relationships or struggling to cope. I am just struggling to find out how to get back into education.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Holly
Andrew657Thomas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you go to College? Because It's required for you to have been to college to get UCAS points. Then courses will have a requirement of points you need to be put into the *Most likely to get in pile* and then if you have under that points *Unlikely to get in*

I would learn how to write a personal statement, YouTube is excellent as well as the UCAS website helps a lot!

Then you can apply to university courses between September to January 15th.

Then sort out student finances.

UCAS Website: https://www.ucas.com/
UCAS search tool: http://search.ucas.com/
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well firstly, decide on a course. That's the essential first step. Working with animals and working with people require dramatically different qualifications so you need to choose what you want to do.
skye218
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HollyLouise0524)
I am currently in full time employment but lately I have felt lost, no goal in life, when I suddenly realized its because I am not pursuing my dream which is to work with animals or help people in bad situations i.e violent relationships or struggling to cope. I am just struggling to find out how to get back into education.

Holly
Do some research on which programs you want to apply to and then contact the schools on what you need. Most are very helpful. Once you figure out what it is you want to do it's a lot easier becasue you have a clear goal to work towards. Being older and pursuing higher education can be an advantage. You are mature and have more life experience. I also find you focus and are more disciplined with your studies. I'll be 27 when I start school again in September. It's never too late. Good luck!
El Scotto
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am currently in full time employment but lately I have felt lost, no goal in life, when I suddenly realised its because I am not pursuing my dream which is to work with animals or help people in bad situations i.e violent relationships or struggling to cope. I am just struggling to find out how to get back into education.

Holly
go for an access course.
De Montfort University
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Holly
It would definitely be best to take some time and do a little bit of research in regards to a course which you find interesting. Think about the things you enjoy and would like to pursue, and then work from there.

From that point, you can check out the entry criteria for the courses and then think about what you would need to meet the criteria. Many students consider access courses as they are usually a year long and will grant progression to an undergraduate degree.

Don't feel rushed to find something as well, it is better to have a think about what you enjoy and taking the right steps to ensure you have a better university experience.

- Matt
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Holly
The likelihood is an Access course would be most suited to you. These are 1 year courses aimed at mature students. They are accepted by most universities for most degrees. They are typically cheaper than sitting A-levels as a private candidate and more flexible allowing you to fit in part time work. However, if you want to do something very competitive at uni (Veterinary Science or Medicine or Dentistry) or something that requires a particularly strong grasp of maths (Physics/Maths) then Access isn't necessarily the best option.

You then have two options - you can either do more research in to universities you might like to attend based on the course you want to do, contact them and ensure the accept Access an an entry. This may be more suited to you since you seem to be between two different route. Alternatively, you can apply to an Access course (which you probably still have time to do for September start) and once you're enrolled then look more in to university (which is what I did. But my area of study didn't change as much as going from animal care to human care)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads