How scared of flying are you? Watch

davidguettafan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After today's plane crash in France, it made me think:

How scared of flying are you guys out of 10?

0 being not at all, 10 being terrified.
Andrew657Thomas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0 They're safer than cars.
HuggleyDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0 - 1. I only start getting uncomfortable in heavy turbulence, and even then it's not bad. I find flying quite exciting generally.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0, the only prospect I find scary about planes is sitting behind/in front of/next to a really obnoxious person, otherwise I'm not worried at all
emanueladiana
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by davidguettafan)
After today's plane crash in France, it made me think:

How scared of flying are you guys out of 10?

0 being not at all, 10 being terrified.
9 I'd say. 5 for cars, whenever I'm in a car I expect it to crash + I'm height sick.
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firstly, RIP to all the passengers and crew on that plane.

Probably about 3, which I'd describe as not really fear, but healthy respect for nature - we're in an environment that we weren't designed to be in.

Whenever I fly - usually about 2 or 3 times a year - It's at the back of my mind that despite aviation's excellent safety record, it's a risk I take and accept that a crash is possible.

About 7 years ago I was on a flight from San Francisco to Sydney, and mid-Pacific, somewhere between Hawaii and Polynesia, we encountered horrendous turbulence - I'd seriously never experienced anything like it before or since. It lasted about 15 minutes, and while I don't consider myself to be scared of flying, I definitely was relieved when we touched down after that flight.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0. I love flying in fact. I try to do it as much as possible! Plane crashes are heavily hyped up by the media because they're so rare, and so when they do happen, everyone's shocked. Flying is really, really safe (People forget how safe it actually is). Last year, just under 500 people died in plane crashes worldwide. Do you know know many people died in car crashes? 3,287 per day (1.3million across the whole year).

"if flying were merely 99.99% safe,there would be three fatal air crashes every single day. Flying is actually 99.9999996% safe, because only 0.0000004% of planes crash. More people die in the US in car crashes in 6 months than have died in all the aeroplane crashes worldwide in the past century. If flying were as safe as driving a car, a passenger plane carrying 120 people would crash -- with no survivors -- every single day of the year."
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't say I'm scared of flying. What I don't like about flying is boredom and the discomfort of sitting for hours in seats which have hardly any legroom.
Belvitaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
9 or 10.

I absolutely loathe flying. I take a panic attack as soon as I get to the airport, let alone the plane. Sometimes I can't even drive by an airport without taking a panic attack. I'm working on trying to get over my fear of flying before I go back to Iceland next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
davidguettafan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)
9 or 10.

I absolutely loathe flying. I take a panic attack as soon as I get to the airport, let alone the plane. Sometimes I can't even drive by an airport without taking a panic attack. I'm working on trying to get over my fear of flying before I go back to Iceland next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck overcoming your fear
jshep000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I only get nervous for the takeoff, I despise taking off for some reason. Used to be about a 7 for taking off, but now I must have gotten over it because the last two flights I've been on it was like a 1. As for turbulence and landing I don't have a fear of that at all
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
as a previous poster TheTechN said there are over 3000 car deaths each day. but not many threads about "how scared are you of car driving"
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
-10. Not remotely bothered by it. I understand how it works, what the process is, I've piloted light aircraft and have many friends working in both military and civil cockpits.
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0 - I love flying.

I've always found travelling by car worse tbh. The only things I dislike about flying is the cold, and constant ear popping from the air pressure.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
0, I love flying, especially take off, landing and turbulence. It is like a roller coaster only dangerous.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've been on 6 holidays in the last 6 years and never feared flying. Since all these things have been happening with the planes I'm ****ing terrified! :zomg:
TSR Mustafa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The chance of a crash is so unlikely , i'm not bothered by it at all.
BasicMistake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before a flight - 9 because I am dreading the moment my breakfast forces its way up my throat.
During a flight - 0 because I am too busy ejecting semi-digested food to care.
UK_Citizen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm terrified in cars though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads