Help? I don't know which A-Levels to chose? Watch

chldaisy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know that I want to do a degree in International Relations joint with Political Science at University, and I am hoping to get into one of the Russell Group unis. We chose our A-Levels a couple of months ago (as I have my GCSE's coming up this May), but I'm starting to doubt my choices, as I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do after A-levels (but I now know).

The A-levels that I chose were; Ethics and Philosophy, English Literature, Biology and Geography.
However, I don't know whether to change biology for spanish or maybe history? I am not very good at biology (I am just about scraping A's), but I am better at spanish and history (A*'s). However, I have heard that unis like science A-levels?

I just want to know which A-levels would be best for my desired degree course, and whether I should chose subjects which uni's prefer or subjects that I am best at?

(I am targeted for all A's and A*s by the way, if that helps)
anonlad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will not need Biology or any science for that matter to do IR. Do the subjects you are best at to give yourself the best possible chance

EDIT: you probably already know that Biology isn't needed so I'll re-phrase: doing Biology will not strengthen your application, especially if you get a lower grade than you would in History or Spanish
chldaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonlad)
You will not need Biology or any science for that matter to do IR. Do the subjects you are best at to give yourself the best possible chance

EDIT: you probably already know that Biology isn't needed so I'll re-phrase: doing Biology will not strengthen your application, especially if you get a lower grade than you would in History or Spanish
okay thank you, would spanish or history give me a stronger application, though? Acknowledging the other subjects that I chose?
Sixteeen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do the subjects you're best at. From experience, I chose English, History, French and Philosophy&Ethics (no sciences!) - I've applied for English at uni this year and got all my offers, all Russell Group unis! It's a much safer bet to go with the subjects you'll get better grades in, because that's what matters at the end of the day and will take pressure off you in the next 2 years.
Good luck!
chldaisy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sixteeen)
Do the subjects you're best at. From experience, I chose English, History, French and Philosophy&Ethics (no sciences!) - I've applied for English at uni this year and got all my offers, all Russell Group unis! It's a much safer bet to go with the subjects you'll get better grades in, because that's what matters at the end of the day and will take pressure off you in the next 2 years.
Good luck!
Do you mind me asking which grades you achieved at GCSE/A level? And thank you!
Sixteeen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chldaisy)
Do you mind me asking which grades you achieved at GCSE/A level? And thank you!
Not at all! I got 8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE, and AAAB at AS level. Oh and just make sure you pick subjects you enjoy because 2 years is a long time! Unis care more about your personal statement, reference and A2 predicted grades than anything else
Nat9393
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're choosing between Spanish and history, in my own personal opinion I'd say Spanish would be the better choice for your application, although of course you/others might think the opposite. A language does look good though

Posted from TSR Mobile
HuggleyDuck
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Choose subjects that you enjoy, because you will be studying them for two years. If you enjoy them, there is a higher chance that you will be motivated to work and therefore achieve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (111)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.3%
Not great so far... (225)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed