definite_maybe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm still trying to rank my f1 jobs for East Anglia, and would love some more information from any students or doctors who've worked in the area?

The main three hospitals I'm considering in terms of location are PCH, Bedford, and Hitchingbrooke. I know Hitchingbrooke has had pretty bad press recently,but it has some of the exact rotation combinations I'm looking for, so would definitely love to hear about it from anyone who's worked there Know very little in terms of the hospital themselves about the other two as well, so any information is greatly appreciated
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did student placements at Bedford and Hinch. Had a great time at Hinchingbrooke, but a lot of that was to do with living in accommodation (which is pretty grim) with loads of other students and having a keen bunch of F1s who both taught us a lot and were very sociable. This was a few years ago now, and I don't think so many of the doctors live in any more - loads commute from Cambridge, so it might be less cosy than it used to be. The hospital has major financial/managerial issues, as I'm sure you're aware, but most of the medical consultants were nice - surgeons a bit more variable!

I was less keen on Bedford, but that may have been as much to do with the placements (psych and then gen surg) as the hospital. It doesn't have a great reputation, but it's not too bad. The accommodation I stayed in was actually quite nice by hospital standards, but they do also have a tower block which is less pleasant. When I was there a lot of the F1s were Imperial grads who'd failed to get into NWTFS so were going for the next nearest option, and commuting back to London, which doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

Never went to Peterborough, but don't remember anything much either way from my friends who did. Tbh if I were in East Anglia my top choices would be Ipswich, Norwich or Bury for foundation years, but I realise that you may have geographical ties elsewhere.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I did student placements at Bedford and Hinch. Had a great time at Hinchingbrooke, but a lot of that was to do with living in accommodation (which is pretty grim) with loads of other students and having a keen bunch of F1s who both taught us a lot and were very sociable. This was a few years ago now, and I don't think so many of the doctors live in any more - loads commute from Cambridge, so it might be less cosy than it used to be. The hospital has major financial/managerial issues, as I'm sure you're aware, but most of the medical consultants were nice - surgeons a bit more variable!

<snip>
Hinchingbrooke's biggest problem is that it is tiny compared to the average .... i've seen bigger hospitals elsewhere i nthe Uk forcibly merged ...

with regard to management - i wonder how much of the deficeit was structural and how much was histiriuc - again elsewhere but there were some very crafty tricks pulled by regions and PCTs in the recent past ...

as regards Circle - i think they were hoping to buck it for the 5 years and then grab something bigger in the 'running a general hospital ' stakes ...
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does no one else care about the deficit?

We NEED to privatise all aspects of the NHS, lets stop delaying the inevitable.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bedford Hospital = grim! Would be my observation. Last year they had their Paediatric ward shut down and all the juniors left through lack of senior support... although I think it may have re-opened recently.
http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/B...ail/story.html

It's a really boring place to live. Admittedly they've made some attempts to re-energise the river side and anything down by the embankment is quite nice, but Bedford Hospital itself is not by the embankment but in a fairly grim part of town.
carcinoma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by futbol)

Completely off topic, but I had to reply.

You mean the artificial construct of our society to enable us to ration our resources?

Healthcare will always and should always be more important than the economy. After all, the economy is a man made construct that has changed thousands of times since the dawn of civilisation. But the health of our population is real and actually matters.

Let the economy burn, we will just come up with a new system.

I think we should avoid privatisation at all costs, it will just exploit healthcare staff to ensure a few become even richer. Look at other corporations, in banks frontline staff are not that will paid, supermarkets again frontline staff are not that well paid. But the seniors of those organisations are literally rolling around in it on their yacht.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by futbol)

even if all providers were privatised the deficeits would happen ... unless you mean the third world definition of privatising healthcare as also seen in the USA

part of the problem is the perverse incentives that actually make it cheaper to allow A+E to be misused ( such as the 70 % discount on tariff above an agreed number of attendances )
Caponester
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by definite_maybe)
-
Are Addenbrooke's and N&N both not viable options? I thought most programmes in East Anglia would feature one of the two foundation years in one of the major tertiary centres? I only ask because East Anglia is on the radar for me.
King Newt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone have any advice about Bedford accommodation? From google maps hosp accomm looks a bit grim.. I chose Bedford because the F2 at Addies is great, but I know absolutely nothing about Bedford! Any Bedford advice would be very welcome
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by King Newt)
Does anyone have any advice about Bedford accommodation? From google maps hosp accomm looks a bit grim.. I chose Bedford because the F2 at Addies is great, but I know absolutely nothing about Bedford! Any Bedford advice would be very welcome
The tower block was grim, apparently. The other houses - on Ombersley Road (I think) and further out on Kimbolton Road (though this was for psych, so may be owned by the mental health trust) were pretty nice. Private rental accommodation is also not too pricy, I believe.
King Newt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
The tower block was grim, apparently. The other houses - on Ombersley Road (I think) and further out on Kimbolton Road (though this was for psych, so may be owned by the mental health trust) were pretty nice. Private rental accommodation is also not too pricy, I believe.
Thanks for the advice! I'll try and avoid the tower block then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed