How do I get started with Make-up? Watch

NickEgg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to try wearing it but haven't ever owned much before Girls please help me out? What do I buy?

Do I need a foundation or is concealer and/or bb cream enough? What about cc cream? What's the best concealer? If I want really light coverage should I get powder and not liquid foundation? (My skin is oily)
ha27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NickEgg)
I want to try wearing it but haven't ever owned much before Girls please help me out? What do I buy?

Do I need a foundation or is concealer and/or bb cream enough? What about cc cream? What's the best concealer? If I want really light coverage should I get powder and not liquid foundation? (My skin is oily)
im having this problem
i have acne scars and they arent disappearing so i want to start using a little bit of concealer and foundation but not overboard and dont really know my shade lol gonna start looking in easter and ask someone in boots to find my shade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chellecharity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ha27)
im having this problem
i have acne scars and they arent disappearing so i want to start using a little bit of concealer and foundation but not overboard and dont really know my shade lol gonna start looking in easter and ask someone in boots to find my shade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stay away from the foundation, especially if your skin is still quite spotty. It should be an occasional solution not daily thing!! Your main goal should be to keep your skin clear enough that the old marks fade without creating new ones
Chellecharity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

So foubdation can be bought in medium to heavy or light to medium coverage dependibg on your preference. I love love love CC cream is it evens out your complexion with a tiny bit of coverage so you look as if you have nothing on.

With oily skin, I suggest a matte finish foubdation. Or you could try an oil minimiser cream such as Simple then a dewy finish foundation. My favvv is Mac studio sculpt if you can afford high end.
But the key is to start of small with little bits and bobs from the drugstore and find what suits you best and gives you the look that you want ! Then just build up your collection from there. Oh for concealer I suggest LA girl! Super cheap and a great finish to it
ha27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chellecharity)
Stay away from the foundation, especially if your skin is still quite spotty. It should be an occasional solution not daily thing!! Your main goal should be to keep your skin clear enough that the old marks fade without creating new ones
thankss!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
dianainesb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would definitely stay away from foundation! I had really bad acne scars when I was a teen and started using foundation to cover it up and I feel it only made things worse. Maybe it was the combination of the makeup and the acne treatments I was using. If you do want to try makeup use mineral based powders. They might not do as great as a job when it comes to covering up with foundations, but at least it wont damage your skin - plus it looks more natural! If you want to get rid of the acne scars I highly recommend Snail Extract creams - I know it sounds gross but it really helps. I've used all sorts while living in the US, but since moving to Europe it's been harder to find. I tried the Dr. Organic serum, but felt it dried my face. I recently ordered the VitVit snail cream from beautybeyond.co (cream, bc I was afraid the serum would do the same as the Dr. Organic brand) and it has really left my face soft! All in all I think you should try out the snail extract creams - just make sure theyre organic!
NickEgg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by dianainesb)
I would definitely stay away from foundation! I had really bad acne scars when I was a teen and started using foundation to cover it up and I feel it only made things worse. Maybe it was the combination of the makeup and the acne treatments I was using. If you do want to try makeup use mineral based powders. They might not do as great as a job when it comes to covering up with foundations, but at least it wont damage your skin - plus it looks more natural! If you want to get rid of the acne scars I highly recommend Snail Extract creams - I know it sounds gross but it really helps. I've used all sorts while living in the US, but since moving to Europe it's been harder to find. I tried the Dr. Organic serum, but felt it dried my face. I recently ordered the VitVit snail cream from beautybeyond.co (cream, bc I was afraid the serum would do the same as the Dr. Organic brand) and it has really left my face soft! All in all I think you should try out the snail extract creams - just make sure theyre organic!
What kind of mineral based powders? I dont have acne scars btw
lktaior
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hello,
I think concealer is the best for your oily skin with small amount of talcum. It will bring glow and shine on your face.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say if you have a good skin base already as in not many blemishes or discolouration then don't bother with a foundation, cc cream or bb cream at most, but if you can get away with it just concealer. After that just some eyeliner, mascara and some simple lipstick shades would be a good start to test the waters
youwantsum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Face products that i swear by....
Maybelline Dream Pure BB cream (the tube with the blue writing...dont get the pink one, it goes orange)
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer
Collection 2000 lasting perfection concealer.

I would say BB cream looks the most natural and feels the most pleasant in your face, which will be great for you if you are just starting out. You will also need a concealer to cover up any spots, dark circles or blemished, especially under the eyes. I've mentioned two concealer in here, but to be fair any one that isn't too thick or dark will do. Also with concealer, if you're decided between a lighter and a slightly darker shade, ALWAYS go for the lighter:P

As for powder, you will need it to set your make-up since your skin is oily. The one that i have recommended here is very light, so it's very good for setting a BB cream or a foundation. It's long lasting too, and is very affordable. I have been using it for years now and will never switch

You should also get some generic make-up products, like some mascara (maybelline do a great range), lip products (rimmel and l'oreal have a great range), eyeliner (I'd recommend getting an eyeliner pen, they're very easy to work with and give good precision)... maybe some neutral eye shadows too...

The thing with makeup is once you start buying it, you'll quickly learn what's what and you'll know what works for you, you just need to try out loads of different things
s.c.a1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
estee lauder double wear is good for oily skin it stays on for ages and you only need it abit (it can get quite cake if you put too much)

- its expensive but its lasted me for agesss

other than that the loreal true match is also very good but if you have oily skin your going to need powder because its not very long lasting (in my opinion)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads