chloe6126
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently in Year 10 and I'm thinking about doing maths a level but I don't know if it would be too challenging, I am prepared to work hard but I don't want to be constantly struggling! I got one mark of an A in a GCSE calculator paper and I'm aiming to get an A* in my Maths GCSE, but I am not studying further maths which I've heard makes A Level less of a jump-shall I still consider it?
samabrahams12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely consider it! I'm doing it for A level and it is fine atm. There are 3 papers you do : C1, C2 and D1
C1 is basically the same as GCSE, the easiest of the 3. C2 is a bit harder and requires a lot more work to put in. D1 is a strange paper as it is mainly about algorithms and memorising algorithms to answer and solve problems.
Good luck with deciding!
zetamcfc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got just an A at GCSE normal maths (didn't take further). Then got A's in maths and further maths at AS and on course to get A*'s in both of them. Also, of those who did further maths at GCSE it only really helped them for the first few weeks (At least where I am), so don't worry, if you put the effort in you'll get your reward.
diana99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Indeed go for it! If you enjoy maths ,chances are you will do pretty well! All you need is an A grade , it's not as hard as you think once you are motivated

I was in the same position as you last year, wanting to study maths for a level .(I'm in yr 11 now:yep:)

Maths opens you up to lots of different careers so it's a great option
Posted from TSR Mobile
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will definitely do C1 + C2, which add a few new concepts but nothing that comes as any more difficulty, it just expects you to think mathematically at times.

your 3rd module will either be Statistics 1, Mechanics 1 or Decision 1. D1 is really easy but is a bit annoying to learn at first. statistics is mainly knowing what formulas to use and how to apply them. Mechanics can be challenging as you have to resolve forces and remember/work out certain values. None of these are too difficult though and maths is well worth having as an AS atleast.
igcse101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samabrahams12)
Definitely consider it! I'm doing it for A level and it is fine atm. There are 3 papers you do : C1, C2 and D1
C1 is basically the same as GCSE, the easiest of the 3. C2 is a bit harder and requires a lot more work to put in. D1 is a strange paper as it is mainly about algorithms and memorising algorithms to answer and solve problems.
Good luck with deciding!
I'm in Year 11 right now, I did my maths IGCSE in January and got an A* and have been doing C1 since then. I was just wondering if you had any tips for C1 as I'm doing the exam this summer and I am really scared as we have done the course so quickly that I feel really unconfident with it all..
igcse101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
You will definitely do C1 + C2, which add a few new concepts but nothing that comes as any more difficulty, it just expects you to think mathematically at times.

your 3rd module will either be Statistics 1, Mechanics 1 or Decision 1. D1 is really easy but is a bit annoying to learn at first. statistics is mainly knowing what formulas to use and how to apply them. Mechanics can be challenging as you have to resolve forces and remember/work out certain values. None of these are too difficult though and maths is well worth having as an AS atleast.
Hey, Im in year 11 now but I'm doing AS maths, the C1 module and was wondering if you could give me any advice/ tips for how to do well in it. Because i want to do well in the summer so i don't have to retake it and can just go straight onto C2 in september. Thank you!
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At the end of Year 10 I was on a C in GCSE Maths. I pulled it up to an A in the final exam, and now I'm in A2 Maths, so you can certainly do it if you're almost at an A in Year 10.

The content isn't really all that much harder, but the exams can catch you out. I did D1 as my AS module, and I'm doing D2 now (although I have studied parts of S1 and M1 for FM, which I later dropped). None of the modules are particularly impossible, although M1 can be tricky if you're not familiar with AS Physics, so go for it!
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by igcse101)
Hey, Im in year 11 now but I'm doing AS maths, the C1 module and was wondering if you could give me any advice/ tips for how to do well in it. Because i want to do well in the summer so i don't have to retake it and can just go straight onto C2 in september. Thank you!
Hi, C1 has no real challenge so the only thing you need to do is practice, do every past paper you can find, the questions are so similar that you will basically do the same questions in the actual paper. Once you start getting string of As in past papers, keep doing them. you won't have to sit it again so you might as well do ALL of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads