The-Deadly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,
Next year, I will be taking 4 A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Business). However, I'm also thinking of getting a weekend part-time job and going college in the evening to take extra GCSEs. Can someone tell me if this would be too much? Or should I just focus on the A-levels?
conallkeenan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Focus on A Levels. I would advise not even getting a job, obviously not the case for everyone, but in all of my classes the people who didn't achieve as well as they should have tended to have jobs (of course people who don't work still did bad too, and people who do have a part time job, if they manage their time correctly, have come out with top grades). GCSEs are only important in progressing on, to be honest.

Plus, the A Levels you're planning on taking on are three (apologies, I don't know much about Business, so I don't know how difficult it is) of the most challenging subjects one can do. To attain average grades will require a lot of time and determination - to achieve top grades, which I assume you are, based on your ambition, will obviously require a lot more.

If you do get a part time job, I would advise Friday afternoons and Sundays - Saturdays are a brilliant opportunity to go to your local library and get a lot of work done (I did it last year and ended up with 4 A's - all at least 87%, one at full marks and one at 98%)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The-Deadly)
Hi everyone,
Next year, I will be taking 4 A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Business). However, I'm also thinking of getting a weekend part-time job and going college in the evening to take extra GCSEs. Can someone tell me if this would be too much? Or should I just focus on the A-levels?
It really depends on your time-management skills and how apt you are at your A-levels. That is a lot, and it's not something I would dream of doing. I think even taking just 3 A-levels instead of 4 would ease your load immensely and make the part-time job and GCSEs that much more manageable.

I think basically, if you reckon you have the organisation skills to stay on top of it all, then more power to you. It'll be hard going, but it's not impossible.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Remember the A level courses in some of your subjects will be linear and syllabuses new.

I would strongly recommend you don't start a job.
JD8897
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
get a job, helps with a lot of things, ive got lots of qualifications through working at a ski centre for just 6 months and am on A C C at AS, now doing a2, which is ok for me but re-sitting 2 modules to improve... you can easily get time off whenever you need it like for exams. Personally i had to get a job for financial reasons but it has lots of benefits
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got a job alongside my A2's, and I work with someone doing their AS', so it's perfectly manageable. Your best bet is to work somewhere that doesn't typically employ students, so it's easier to get exam period time off, and to keep the hours to Saturday or Sunday only. I do 8-4 Saturday and I'll be getting the four weeks I have exams off.

The evening college for GCSEs is a little excessive, however. It's not going to be of any real use to you, and it'll eat into evening time when you should really focus on A-levels.
oneabdi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by conallkeenan)
Focus on A Levels. I would advise not even getting a job, obviously not the case for everyone, but in all of my classes the people who didn't achieve as well as they should have tended to have jobs (of course people who don't work still did bad too, and people who do have a part time job, if they manage their time correctly, have come out with top grades). GCSEs are only important in progressing on, to be honest.

Plus, the A Levels you're planning on taking on are three (apologies, I don't know much about Business, so I don't know how difficult it is) of the most challenging subjects one can do. To attain average grades will require a lot of time and determination - to achieve top grades, which I assume you are, based on your ambition, will obviously require a lot more.

If you do get a part time job, I would advise Friday afternoons and Sundays - Saturdays are a brilliant opportunity to go to your local library and get a lot of work done (I did it last year and ended up with 4 A's - all at least 87%, one at full marks and one at 98%)
Wow! What subjects did you do? I'm doing my AS's now, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics do you have any tips that would be really helpful?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (95)
24.55%
No (292)
75.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed