Loafie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I haven't seen a threat directed at this paper so thought I would make one (exam sat on Fri 19 June '15)
This is for the pre-release material (health in Kenya) that was released a few days ago.

Any initial thoughts? I think the paper looks fairly straight forward with some obvious points to start revision on, e.g. direct comparison of the maps, but may get more difficult near the end of the paper, with Item 3 and 4. What do you think? Have your teachers already said much? Are you concerned about this exam...the different style etc?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Loafie)
I haven't seen a threat directed at this paper so thought I would make one (exam sat on Fri 19 June '15)
This is for the pre-release material (health in Kenya) that was released a few days ago.

Any initial thoughts? I think the paper looks fairly straight forward with some obvious points to start revision on, e.g. direct comparison of the maps, but may get more difficult near the end of the paper, with Item 3 and 4. What do you think? Have your teachers already said much? Are you concerned about this exam...the different style etc?
Heya, I'm going to put this in the Geography forum for you as you should get more responses there.You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=83
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the content is straightforward but I'm unsure of the best way to prepare for the exam. Annotating the booklet with potential evaluation thoughts/question possibilities and other ideas with information from the further reading section is what I'm doing at the moment. Essentially, just understanding all the pros and cons of what's been given combined with further reading.

What have you been told as the best preparation method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DavidCrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Put this on last year's thread: hope its of help to those doing the 2015 paper!

A few tips:

Knowing the AIB thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your own knowledge to answering the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks. For my Nepal exam, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, development statistics, projects other charities have done, news articles etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it although you can draw upon it occasionally.

Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to extra research. You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, internet searches, books, course texts - basically anything which is related to the topic. You'll realise as you go that the issue chosen by the exam board cuts across many of the concepts in the A Level. Doing your own research is the only way to develop the synoptic understanding of the issue that you need.

Note: there are are usually shorter questions based on more 'directed' items such as data presentation, stats, fieldwork or directed research. These should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. Even if no questions based wholly on these 'directed' items come up, make sure you include them in the exam paper somewhere - e.g. I brought in the photographs referenced in the AIB to an essay on development in Nepal.

Geog 4B is more about geographical understanding than revision per se. As I did very detailed research on the concepts and structured that research around the AIB I was able to build up a very good knowledge of the core themes before the exam, which I could then draw upon as part of the argument in my essay. The exam essays are more about setting up an argument and justifying yourself (with that justification supplemented by your own facts) rather than basic regurgitation of the facts themselves.

Good luck!
Golde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Does anybody know the advantages of choropleth maps? I can find loads of disadvantages but barely any advantages!
Loafie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exceptional)
I think the content is straightforward but I'm unsure of the best way to prepare for the exam. Annotating the booklet with potential evaluation thoughts/question possibilities and other ideas with information from the further reading section is what I'm doing at the moment. Essentially, just understanding all the pros and cons of what's been given combined with further reading.

What have you been told as the best preparation method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes essentially the same as you, annotations with a lot of research from the suggested websites. We've been told to look at the aims of the projects and so making a judgement on the success of the scheme so far.
Do you think a question comparing the maps could come up?
Gray18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Golde)
Hi,

Does anybody know the advantages of choropleth maps? I can find loads of disadvantages but barely any advantages!
Easy to read and understand. Also easy to identify trends with comparisons to other maps.
MikeBird
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3219569
JackWilsh10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi everybody, some really very helpful and useful things in discussion on this thread already as ultimately we are all in the same boat not knowing how to revise when going into this GEOG4B exam!

What's the main technique everybody is using for revision? I didn't study health as a topic for AS so am I at a disadvantage?

As far as anything my teacher has to say on the issue, the choropleth maps are 100% likely to come up as a question, be it as description or commenting/evaluating the advantages/disadvantages of this method of portraying data.
Also they could potentially ask other ways of portraying the data shown in the booklet, e.g. other methods of data presentation.

Any help on this threat is really pro-active, it's good to engage with others about issues we're all worried about together! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Loafie
Rep:
?
(Original post by JackWilsh10)
Hi everybody, some really very helpful and useful things in discussion on this thread already as ultimately we are all in the same boat not knowing how to revise when going into this GEOG4B exam!

What's the main technique everybody is using for revision? I didn't study health as a topic for AS so am I at a disadvantage?

As far as anything my teacher has to say on the issue, the choropleth maps are 100% likely to come up as a question, be it as description or commenting/evaluating the advantages/disadvantages of this method of portraying data.
Also they could potentially ask other ways of portraying the data shown in the booklet, e.g. other methods of data presentation.

Any help on this threat is really pro-active, it's good to engage with others about issues we're all worried about together! Any help would be greatly appreciated
That's interesting, my teacher hasn't mentioned anything at all about a data representation question. We have been preparing for a question on comparing the maps or commenting on them, eg kisumu has a largely high rainfall area so more likely to have dirt roads so riders won't be able to travel as far etc.
I guess either could come up?

Also I don't think you are at a disadvantage from not studying health as I've heard very little centres do it (probably why it was chosen) and it does have a lot of links to other topics
JackWilsh10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Loafie)
That's interesting, my teacher hasn't mentioned anything at all about a data representation question. We have been preparing for a question on comparing the maps or commenting on them, eg kisumu has a largely high rainfall area so more likely to have dirt roads so riders won't be able to travel as far etc.
I guess either could come up?

Also I don't think you are at a disadvantage from not studying health as I've heard very little centres do it (probably why it was chosen) and it does have a lot of links to other topics
Okay, thanks! Also, do you have an idea of the longest question in the exam - I believe it's 15 marks? Interesting to see what could be asked for that number of marks.
Loafie
Rep:
?
(Original post by JackWilsh10)
Okay, thanks! Also, do you have an idea of the longest question in the exam - I believe it's 15 marks? Interesting to see what could be asked for that number of marks.
Probably likely to be something in the last two pages of the booklet and Riders and Millenium Development? Not too sure yet but my teacher says he's counting on there being 4 15 mark essays?? FOUR? oh dear. Apparently one is also completely random yay AQA! What do you think of the 15?
JackWilsh10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I mean that's what i was thinking too. Haha, I wanted to look at past papers to try and draw comparisons but as each skills paper is so different it's essentially useless to do so - my teacher said the booklet is so different to last years! If I was to predict, purely as an estimate something along the lines of evaluating how successful the MDGs have been?

I wonder what the main thing to take from item 3 is - the issues for the Kenyan health service? Have you talked about that yet?
JackWilsh10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So, how exactly is it that we should go about revising for this exam??
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are the disadvantages of the choropleth maps?
clareramos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I used to be an examiner for 4B several years ago and it's about time AQA properly had maps in questions as if anyone takes Geography to degree level they will get you making them in the first year. I would say look at the key principles behind Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and that may help you give some answers for the map questions.

Choropleth Maps Disadvantages
- hard to work out colour ramp, especially if over 6 colours used on the map.
- is geographically accurate, so visually can be skewed
- scale is used so detail about specific area can't be seen, making it interactive would solve this, choropleth maps aren't the most detailed.
GrnLnt
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How successful have the MDG'S been? What are their negatives?
Georgia1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How successful have the MDGs been? Do you have an answer per goal? Thanks
ArtBo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys do you know if any maths-y things are likely to come up on this 4B exam? Like speaeman's rank and that kind of thing? 😊
MikeBird
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is a big post here on this exam

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post57073577

Keep it all in one place for everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads