The Student Room Group

Did I damage my CPU?

Long story short, bought an old PC to take apart and toy with as I'm new to computer hardware repair etc.. I took out the RAM and CPU only but when taking out the CPU from its socket I realized that I'd have to remove the HDD as it was causing the leaver of the CPU socket to not flip up. I couldn't be bothered so prised it open with a screw driver. After puting it all back I got a solid amber light and the fan was very loud so after awhile of it not correcting itself I removed the RAM and reincerted it but still no joy. I then looked at the CPU socket grid and saw that one of the pins were bent so tried my best to straighten it and then applied thermal paste to the CPU itself and reatached the heatsink and fan. Now the fan has gone back to normal but still have the solid amber light with no picture or beeps.. Did I ****up? I used an anti static strap and worked on a wooden surface. This is the second system I've experimented with and ****edup.. are components really that sensitive? I think my last system is victim of ESD as I saw a blue spark hit it once but it still worked but eventually died. I'm going for Comptia A+ training soon.. I just didn't expect hardware to be so delicate..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Sounds as if you could have busted it mate, Sorry to be the barer of bad news but using a metal object which i'm presuming wasn't electrical proof could have sent static electric into the circuit and busted it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending