Jack182
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Guys I've completely spaced out. Assignment due today and I've gone blank.

In regards to Yield points... is the yield point measured in Newtons or MMs? I'm guessing Newtons but have completely spaced out... any help would be great! Thanks
Jack182
Rep:
?
BUMP
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jack182)
Guys I've completely spaced out. Assignment due today and I've gone blank.

In regards to Yield points... is the yield point measured in Newtons or MMs? I'm guessing Newtons but have completely spaced out... any help would be great! Thanks
You usually find yield points on a Young's modulus curve hence it should have units of stress.
Jack182
Rep:
?
(Original post by a10)
You usually find yield points on a Young's modulus curve hence it should have units of stress.
yep... Basically I took part in a tensile strength test and had to write a report on it. And I have to fill in a table which includes stuff like, Yield point, U.T.L (WTF is U.T.L? lol), cross sectional area, load at fracture etc.

And am unsure of whether to put Newtons as yield point or MM xD
Jack182
Rep:
?
Basically the graphs show

Newtons going up on the left
MM going across the bottom.

The line starts to curve at 0.5MM, so is that the yield point? If that makes any sense. haha
a10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yep... Basically I took part in a tensile strength test and had to write a report on it. And I have to fill in a table which includes stuff like, Yield point, U.T.L (WTF is U.T.L? lol), cross sectional area, load at fracture etc.

And am unsure of whether to put Newtons as yield point or MM xD
UTL = ultimate tensile load I.e. the maximum load the material can withstand.

The definition of a yield point is where you have an increase in strain but no increase in stress.

If you have Newtons on the y-axis and millimetres on the x axis then you have units of stress ( of course assuming that you ploted the area in mm^2).
Jack182
Rep:
?
(Original post by a10)
UTL = ultimate tensile load I.e. the maximum load the material can withstand.

The definition of a yield point is where you have an increase in strain but no increase in stress.

If you have Newtons on the y-axis and millimetres on the x axis then you have units of stress ( of course assuming that you ploted the area in mm^2).
Hey A10! Sorry for the long response, was in panic mode at this time! Thanks to you I got the assignment in, in time and I had a merit!

Thanks alot Material Science is the hardest module I had (for me personally as I suck at maths) so to get a merit in my second assignment is amazing

thanks!!
a10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey A10! Sorry for the long response, was in panic mode at this time! Thanks to you I got the assignment in, in time and I had a merit!

Thanks alot Material Science is the hardest module I had (for me personally as I suck at maths) so to get a merit in my second assignment is amazing

thanks!!
Well done!

Glad i could help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads