Norman Lamb interview: How could mental health care be improved at universities? Watch

Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
TSR's miser visited Lib Dem HQ to ask your questions to Norman Lamb MP, the Minister of State for Care and Support, and Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Deputy PM Nick Clegg.

Check out the video below!

Q7. How could mental health care be improved at universities?

Do you think this would improve care at your university?
StretfordEnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would what improve care at my University? He spoke for well over a minute about the barriers that students with mental health considerations face and then offered no solution!

For the individuals he spoke to for whom he was able act as an intermediary with NHS England and 'break down barriers', that's fantastic; but in the wider scheme they are a statistical anomaly and if the only other thing Lamb can offer up is 'Let's just...I want a...sort of...student guarantee that you get access to support.'

Nah, I'm sorry, that's not really a good enough answer when you're the Minister of State for Care.That's a reply you'd expect from, say, the Director of a mental health charity or a backbench MP.

And even if he did introduce legislation to 'reduce bureaucracy' I wonder how much of an effect it would have. The prevailing wisdom in social work/health-care circles for years now is that patient-centered approaches yield significantly better results when it comes to emotional, intellectual and social needs yet there didn't seem to be any acknowledgement that the service users themselves are a key proponent in the system.

Unrelated, I thought there was a moment which is reflective of how older generations and politicians in particular are insultingly dismissive of younger people. Apparently twenty-somethings, as a rule of thumb, wouldn't be able to do something as basic as re-register with a GP when the care they know they need is dependent on it? Yeah. Cheers.

(Of course this is all relatively academic as 6 weeks time Norman Lamb will booted to the backbenches)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.49%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
55.49%
No (71)
39.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise