NickSR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,

I was wondering how difficult A level biology is...

I am thinking about doing a fast track online course in the subject in order to help with my application for university.

I am currently doing a L3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Management, which takes up 4-5 days a week. I also have a lot of assignments.

I am wondering how difficult A level biology would be to complete in one year alongside the course.

Has anyone done a fast track biology course? What is the difficulty of the standard two year biology A level?

Thanks
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I you are doing it to get into veterinary science/medicine i think its better to take Chemistry but im not 100% sure
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are looking to study vet med, a lot of universities will accept the BTEC with a few other qualifications so it would be best to talk to the universities to see what they want.

Biology is hard work, there is quite a bit of content to learn but it's incredibly interesting and you will enjoy it, a fast track will be a lot of work on top of your BTEC so if you want to try it, there is no harm but I do know when I applied for it they said it will be a lot of work as it is 3 A levels and I already had my A levels.
lavender_rose
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmm Biology was quite hard in some ways, it was mostly the work load of having to learn so many new things in a short space of time especially when I was studying my other A levels. Although there are some concepts that take a while to get your head around, like DNA replication and the cardiac cycle. I think it is doable but you have to put in a lot of effort. And I don't know how much help you will get from the fast track course but Biology for me was mainly self directed study tbh.
Dark Elixir
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The subject for me isn't hard at all, just that there is a lot of content to learn. However, not trying to be offensive but this is talking from personal experience, there were 4 people in my AS biology class who had done BTECs at GCSE and 3 of them dropped out and the other got an E in their exam. If you feel you can do it though, go ahead.
NickSR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am actually looking at a BSc animal behaviour for the future, some universities do accept just my BTEC.

I was looking at Exeter but they were the ones who said I needed a science A level to go with my BTEC.

Has anyone here studied animal behaviour at uni? If so, what universities would you recommend?
Rishy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I finished my A levels last year and retook the big test from AS on top of the whole bio A level itself and started revising 2 weeks before my exams so its definetly possible to fast track it. It is an A level where you need to cram as much as you can, but the exam itself isnt too difficult so just make sure you are organised in the way you study and you will do fine. Remember exam technique is vital.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NickSR)
I am actually looking at a BSc animal behaviour for the future, some universities do accept just my BTEC.

I was looking at Exeter but they were the ones who said I needed a science A level to go with my BTEC.

Has anyone here studied animal behaviour at uni? If so, what universities would you recommend?
yeah the 2 best universities for Animal Behavior are Exeter and Bristol (both require a B in a Science or maths subject) im not sure if BSc Animal Science is similar but both Nottingham and Newcastle (both are good russell groups) make offers without a science A level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads