The Student Room Group

What is the best way to learn coding?

I have created a couple of websites with HTML and CSS but these are mainly basic ones. I was wondering what people consider to be the best way to learn coding; outside of doing a course on the subject. Is getting books out of the library the best way, or YouTube tutorials, or research on the internet?

I'm in the middle of creating a website at the moment but I am using Wix. I would like to learn coding for video games as well as websites at some point.

Reply 1
Learning from YouTube videos is good if you're one of those people that learn better with visuals and sound. But, most YouTubers that teach programming are clueless. Your best bet would be to buy a good eBook or hardcopy book to learn from.
Reply 2
Beginning Python is a good book that touches on all of your requirements. It'll introduce you to programming concepts, teach you a solid language and then move on to frameworks for both web (Django) and games (PyGame), which'll set you up pretty well for moving into similar frameworks in other languages.
Reply 3
I find the best way to teach someone is to encourage them to embark on a personal project which teaches the programmer to study independently, experimenting with learning resources that best suits their learning habits. The best part about these projects is that they can continue indefinitely and often becomes a personal dev playground for learning and experimenting with new technologies.
I told my colleague to create a project of his choosing and implement the following: RESTful Service using any framework, NoSQL DB, hosted on AWS, automated environment / deployment management such as Chef, unit + integration test framework of his choosing, choice of front-end technologies. For a novice, he learned a lot of crucial skills and the ever so important ability of building architectures from scratch. There's enough there for him to learn to keep him busy for a while.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
There's a website called code academy. It's really good and I use it. sign up and it teaches you everything!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by NX172
I find the best way to teach someone is to encourage them to embark on a personal project which teaches the programmer to study independently, experimenting with learning resources that best suits their learning habits. The best part about these projects is that they can continue indefinitely and often becomes a personal dev playground for learning and experimenting with new technologies.
I told my colleague to create a project of his choosing and implement the following: RESTful Service using any framework, NoSQL DB, hosted on AWS, automated environment / deployment management such as Chef, unit + integration test framework of his choosing, choice of front-end technologies. For a novice, he learned a lot of crucial skills and the ever so important ability of building architectures from scratch. There's enough there for him to learn to keep him busy for a while.

Couldn't of said it better myself. +rep
Reply 6
Original post by NX172

Fully agree with this post +1
If you wish I could teach you HTML5, CSS3, Javascript and PHP all for FREE! :biggrin: I hope it all goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending