What is the best way to work for the pharmaceutical industry? Watch

Aurora18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there, I'm a second year biochemistry undergraduate student and my ultimate goal would be to work for a pharmaceutical company such as GSK. I achieved a first in my first year of study and I'm currently on track for a first in my second year too. I am wondering what would be the best way to get into pharmaceuticals and what skills, attributes and experience they require.

Ideally, when I graduate I would like to pursue a masters degree in molecular medicine and providing I do well, then undergo a PhD however I am unsure if a PhD is necessary. I've chosen modules best suited to a career in pharmaceuticals for my final year such as drug design and molecular virology and have applied for multiple summer research placements at my university.

I have a few questions:

Would a masters degree in molecular medicine be valued by pharmaceutical companies? I've been looking at masters degrees in medicinal chemistry but alas they require an undergraduate degree in chemistry..

If I want to go into research and development, is a PhD necessary? Ideally I'd like to finish my education at 22.

Has anyone done a GSK undergraduate summer placement? I'm definitely going to apply for one next year but I don't know if they favour medicinal / chemistry, pharmacology or biomedical science undergraduates as opposed to biochemistry.

What could I do to make myself and my CV more attractive to future employers in the pharmaceutical industry?

Obviously I still need to do a lot more research on the matter but I thought asking here would be a good place to start to see what you guys think would be the best way.

Thanks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads