HELP!! Recruitment agencies, graduate job offers and job hunting Watch

ameen123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi everyone,

I'm currently signed up with a recruitment agency as well as applying for graduate jobs myself.

I've had an interview for a job for a smaller company that I've found myself, however the recruitment agency is in the process of submitting my details to bigger firms, with the hopes of getting me a couple of interviews with them.

In this situation, if I were to get an offer from the job that I had an interview for, how long would I be able to stall them in order for me to take interviews with the bigger firms that the recruitment agency may set up for me?

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Times are hard, 10 months since graduation and still unemployed!
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ameen123)
That's up to them, effectively. If you like the smaller firm then i'd take it for now and forget the others, get the experience and get yourself into a role. If you haven't had interviews for the larger companies yet then the process will end up taking a few weeks most likely at minimum - by which point you'll be putting yourself on a bad footing with the company that will have offered you a position, and still there are no guarantees with the larger companies. Fresh graduate maybe it's worth the risk, but 10 months unemployed is starting to build up a bit of a gap, so i'd take something to get yourself on the ladder.

Recruitment companies are often pushing a lot of candidates so there's never any certainty

If it's more a situation where you've had a couple of interviews, got an offer, and the other is due to tell you in a few days/the week after then politely thank them for the offer and keep them in the loop - ask them if it's okay to let them know on X date.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ameen123)
hi everyone,

I'm currently signed up with a recruitment agency as well as applying for graduate jobs myself.

I've had an interview for a job for a smaller company that I've found myself, however the recruitment agency is in the process of submitting my details to bigger firms, with the hopes of getting me a couple of interviews with them.

In this situation, if I were to get an offer from the job that I had an interview for, how long would I be able to stall them in order for me to take interviews with the bigger firms that the recruitment agency may set up for me?

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Times are hard, 10 months since graduation and still unemployed!
Personally i'd take the job with the smaller company, get a years experience and then go to the large company with experience and a stunning reference. Your going to working for 40 years, a year or two won't make a difference in the long run.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads