Can I apply with 3 as levels to oxbridge? Watch

rhmdntymoyra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am doing only 3 courses in my first year of a level. they are maths further maths and economics. I have a plan to apply to cambridge. but is it okay if i only do 3 as levels in the first year? or should i do another as level in my second year to make it 4?
danbomb123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rhmdntymoyra)
I am doing only 3 courses in my first year of a level. they are maths further maths and economics. I have a plan to apply to cambridge. but is it okay if i only do 3 as levels in the first year? or should i do another as level in my second year to make it 4?
Some universities count maths and further maths as one a level
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just moved this to the Oxbridge forum for you
rhmdntymoyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
I've just moved this to the Oxbridge forum for you
thank you 😊
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For what course?
rhmdntymoyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucilou101)
For what course?
economics
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most people would do 4 AS, but that doesn't mean you can't get in with 3. As far as I'm aware Cambridge accept Maths and Further Maths as separate A-Levels so that shouldn't be a problem.

The best thing to do would be email an admission tutor to be sure, or use one of the Ask an Admissions Tutor threads on the Cambridge forum.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by danbomb123)
Some universities count maths and further maths as one a level
Could you give an example that isn't medicine?
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rhmdntymoyra)
It is possible but you will be at a huge disadvantage alongside many Economics applicants who have four of five AS and 4 A2. Why would you only do 3?

If you come from a very disadvantaged background or school this should be mentioned on your application. You will need very high UMS, and good GCSEs in English/History will help to demonstrate a strong application.
rhmdntymoyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Colmans)
It is possible but you will be at a huge disadvantage alongside many Economics applicants who have four of five AS and 4 A2. Why would you only do 3?

If you come from a very disadvantaged background or school this should be mentioned on your application. You will need very high UMS, and good GCSEs in English/History will help to demonstrate a strong application.
I just moved to England few months before GCSE and English is not my first Language, so my grades weren't really good. Because of that the tutor told me to do 3 AS Levels so I can only focus on those three courses that I'll do in A2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads