sobored1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently at uni studying law in my first year, I was wondering if anybody could give me any suggestion as to whether I'd be successful in taking an LPC and become a solicitor or if I should just give up on the idea? I did okay at GCSE: 8 A's, 4 B's and a D. But made a massive mistake (my biggest to date) in choosing my A Level subjects, which I didn't enjoy and got a DDEd. Since (somehow) getting to uni I have been doing well, getting firsts in all modules so far.

But my question is, with all of this inconsistency and the high level of competition will I be able to get a job realistically in the future?
typonaut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think my question is how did you manage to get a university place with two Ds and an E? (Or am I completely misunderstanding what you have written?)

What leads on from that is a question for you to try to answer: does the course I am on and the university I attend reflect the kind of educational attainment desired by law firms, and that will help distinguish me from other candidates?
happyinthehaze
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You might have to go around the houses a bit to get where you want to go but it will be possible. You would have to try hard to make it work. The bigger/corporate type of firms generally filter applications on A levels and you don't have the right grades. However, there IS a bit of a move away from A levels being the be all and end all and you would have to apply to firms who do not filter only on A level grades. They are out there.

This will narrow down the chance of a firm paying for your LPC though. You will need good ECs and lots of legal experience, and a positive attitude - it can be done. You might have to work for a while as a paralegal. You can also consider the legal exec route - people are even qualifying now without a TC - check out recent article on Legal Cheek.

Also look at applying to firms via 'intelligence aid' kind of schemes. And you will need a good explanation for your DDE to put in the 'mitigating circs' box.

Does it matter what Uni you went to? Well probably if you go for the kind of firms that need you to have AAB at A level - which you don't have - so again - not going to the university that 'will reflect the kind of educational attainment desired by law firms' is not necessarily a bar.

If you don't fit into the box in the legal profession as a student, you can still get a TC and qualify. You just have to keep going and believe you can do it. Also, you need to be good. If you are and you want to then you will be able to do it, regardless of what people tell you. But you might not be able to get to the law firm you want right away and you might not be able to get anyone to pay for your LPC

The main thing to do now is get a 2.1 or higher and get your legal experience/ECs.

(Original post by sobored1)
I am currently at uni studying law in my first year, I was wondering if anybody could give me any suggestion as to whether I'd be successful in taking an LPC and become a solicitor or if I should just give up on the idea? I did okay at GCSE: 8 A's, 4 B's and a D. But made a massive mistake (my biggest to date) in choosing my A Level subjects, which I didn't enjoy and got a DDEd. Since (somehow) getting to uni I have been doing well, getting firsts in all modules so far.

But my question is, with all of this inconsistency and the high level of competition will I be able to get a job realistically in the future?
sobored1
Rep:
?
(Original post by typonaut)
I think my question is how did you manage to get a university place with two Ds and an E? (Or am I completely misunderstanding what you have written?)

What leads on from that is a question for you to try to answer: does the course I am on and the university I attend reflect the kind of educational attainment desired by law firms, and that will help distinguish me from other candidates?
No, you aren't mistaken, I think in all honesty the uni was short on places and I had an otherwise good application. There were mitigating factors as to my results though which were submitted in my application.
sobored1
Rep:
?
(Original post by happyinthehaze)
You might have to go around the houses a bit to get where you want to go but it will be possible. You would have to try hard to make it work. The bigger/corporate type of firms generally filter applications on A levels and you don't have the right grades. However, there IS a bit of a move away from A levels being the be all and end all and you would have to apply to firms who do not filter only on A level grades. They are out there.

This will narrow down the chance of a firm paying for your LPC though. You will need good ECs and lots of legal experience, and a positive attitude - it can be done. You might have to work for a while as a paralegal. You can also consider the legal exec route - people are even qualifying now without a TC - check out recent article on Legal Cheek.

Also look at applying to firms via 'intelligence aid' kind of schemes. And you will need a good explanation for your DDE to put in the 'mitigating circs' box.

Does it matter what Uni you went to? Well probably if you go for the kind of firms that need you to have AAB at A level - which you don't have - so again - not going to the university that 'will reflect the kind of educational attainment desired by law firms' is not necessarily a bar.

If you don't fit into the box in the legal profession as a student, you can still get a TC and qualify. You just have to keep going and believe you can do it. Also, you need to be good. If you are and you want to then you will be able to do it, regardless of what people tell you. But you might not be able to get to the law firm you want right away and you might not be able to get anyone to pay for your LPC

The main thing to do now is get a 2.1 or higher and get your legal experience/ECs.
Thank you very much, this was very detailed and useful.
typonaut
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sobored1)
No, you aren't mistaken, I think in all honesty the uni was short on places and I had an otherwise good application. There were mitigating factors as to my results though which were submitted in my application.
If you have genuine mitigating circumstances, and you work really hard and get a first, then you have half a chance - but the mitigation you've offered so far is that you didn't enjoy the subjects of your A-levels. That's not mitigation at all.

Look at the kind of law firms that you are interested in, look at the profiles of trainees and associates with less than 3-4 years experience - are they being recruited from your university or one of similar standing, do they have a similar qualification to the one you are now studying? If the answer is "no", then you are going to have to build a very convincing CV that makes you look very different to other candidates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads